I greeted him in a confused manner, unable to believe my eyes Suddenly he looked closely at me and gasped.
我有点慌乱地向他问候,不能相信自己的眼睛。突然他气喘吁吁地盯着我。
But you're the boy at Miss Havisham's!
你是在郝薇香小姐家里的那个孩子!
And you, I said,are the pale young gentleman!
你,我说,是那个白面少年绅士!
We both started laughing, and shook hands.
我们摇摇双手,开始大笑起来。
Well! he said,I hope you'll forgive me for having knocked you down that day.
喂!他说,希望你能原谅我,那天把你打倒了。
In fact I had knocked him down. But I did not contradict him.
事实上,是我把他打倒了。但是,我没有反驳他。
Do you know why I was there? he asked.I had been invited to Miss Havisham's to see if she liked me.
你知道为什么我在那儿?他问,郝薇香小姐让我去见她,看看我是否中她的意。
I suppose I didn't make a good impression on her.If she had liked me,I could be a rich man and engaged to Estella by now.
我猜,我没有给她留下好的印象,如果她喜欢我的话,我现在可能是一个富翁了,并和艾丝黛拉订婚了。
Were you disappointed?I asked.
你们没有约定吗?我问道。
Oh!I wouldn't want to marry Estella!She's a hard,proud girl, and Miss Havisham has brought her up to break men's hearts, as a revenge on all men.
噢!我不想和艾丝黛拉结婚!她是一个冷酷无情、傲慢的女孩子,郝薇香小姐把她带大,教唆她去伤男人的心,报复所有的男人。
Is she a relation of Miss Havisham's?I asked.
她是郝薇香小姐的亲戚吗?我问。
No,only adopted. Why were you at Miss Havisham's then?
不是,只不过是养女罢了。那么,你为什么在郝薇香小姐家呢?
To make my fortune, the same as you! But I was lucky.
为我的命运,和你一样!不过,我是幸运的。
You know Mr Jaggers is Miss Havisham's lawyer?It was kind of him to suggest that my father should teach you.
你知道贾格斯先生是郝薇香小姐的律师吗?他仁慈地建议让我父亲教你,
My father is Miss Havisham's cousin, you know.
我父亲是郝薇香小姐的表兄,你明白。
Herbert Pocket made an excellent impression on me. He always spoke openly and honestly.
赫伯特·朴凯特给我一个极好的印象,他说的总是直率和诚实的。
There was nothing secret or mean in his character, and we soon became good friends.
在他的性格上,没有什么秘密和别有用意的事情,我们很快就成了好朋友。
I told him of my past life in the village, and my expectations.
我告诉他在乡村过去的生活和我的前程。
Call me Herbert, he said.Would you mind my calling you Handel?
叫我赫伯特,他说,我叫你汉德尔你会介意吗?
There's a wonderful piece of music by Handel,called The Blacksmith,which reminds me of you.
有一支汉德尔写的美妙的乐曲,叫《铁匠》,这是你提醒了我。
Of course I agreed, and as we sat down to dinner, Herbert told me Miss Havisham's sad story.
当然我同意,当我们坐下来吃晚饭时,赫伯特给我讲了郝薇香小姐悲哀的故事。
关于《远大前程》出狱后皮普再次变成一无所有的穷光蛋,只好在外国打工,最后成为一个普通人回到家乡。