The results of what you have done become in time to you utterly insupportable.
你行为的恶果,到头来使你绝对无法忍受。
You take measures to obtain relief, unusual measures, but neither unlawful nor culpable.
你采取措施以求获得解脱,非正常的措施,但既不是非法,也并非有罪。
Still you are miserable, for hope has quitted you on the very confines of life.
而你仍然感到不幸,因为希望在生活的边缘离你而去。
Your sun at noon darkens in an eclipse, which you feel will not leave it till the time of setting.
你的太阳遇上日蚀,在正午就开始暗淡,你觉得不到日落不会有所改变。
Bitter and base associations have become the sole food of your memory.
痛苦和卑贱的联想,成了你记忆的唯一食品。
You wander here and there, seeking rest in exile: happiness in pleasure.
你到处游荡,在放逐中寻求安逸,在亨乐中寻觅幸福。
I mean in heartless, sensual pleasure — such as dulls intellect and blights feeling.
我的意思是沉缅于无情的肉欲—它消蚀才智,摧残情感。
Heart-weary and soul-withered, you come home after years of voluntary banishment.
在几年的自愿放逐以后,你心力交瘁地回到了家里。
You make a new acquaintance — how or where no matter.
结识了一位新知 — 何时结识,如何结识,都无关紧要。
You find in this stranger much of the good and bright qualities which you have sought for twenty years, and never before encountered.
在这位陌生人身上,你看到了很多出类拔率的品质,为它们你已经寻寻觅觅二十来年,却终不可得。
And they are all fresh, healthy, without soil and without taint.
这些品质新鲜健康,没有污渍,没有斑点。
Such society revives, regenerates.
这种交往使人复活,催人新生。
You feel better days come back — higher wishes, purer feelings.
你觉得好日子又回来了 — 志更高,情更真。
You desire to recommence your life, and to spend what remains to you of days in a way more worthy of an immortal being.
你渴望重新开始生活,以一种更配得上不朽的灵魂的方式度过余生。