搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第247期

查看: 225.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:22 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第247期
I reflected, and thought, on the whole, I had.
我沉思了一下,大体认为自己是这样。
It was a comfort.
那是一种愉快。
But, indeed, I had been on my guard almost from the beginning of the interview. Something of masquerade I suspected.
不过说实在一与他见面我便已存戒心。怀疑是一种假面游戏。
I knew gipsies and fortune-tellers did not express themselves as this seeming old woman had expressed herself.
我知道吉卜赛人和算命的人的谈吐,不像那个假老太婆。
Besides I had noted her feigned voice, her anxiety to conceal her features.
此外,我还注意到了她的假嗓子,注意到了她要遮掩自己面容的焦急心情。
But my mind had been running on Grace Poole — that living enigma, that mystery of mysteries, as I considered her.
可是我脑子里一直想着格雷斯。普尔--那个活着的谜。
I had never thought of Mr. Rochester.
因此压根儿没有想到罗切斯特先生。
"Well," said he, "what are you musing about? What does that grave smile signify?"
"好吧,"他说,"你呆呆地在想什么呀?那严肃的笑容是什么意思?"
Wonder and self-congratulation, sir. I have your permission to retire now, I suppose?
惊讶和庆幸,先生。我想,现在你可以允许我离开了吧?
No, stay a moment, and tell me what the people in the drawing-room yonder are doing.
不,再呆一会儿。告诉我那边会客室里的人在干什么?
Discussing the gipsy, I dare say.
我想是在议论那个吉卜赛人。
Sit down! Let me hear what they said about me.
坐下,坐下!讲给我听听他们说我什么啦?
I had better not stay long, sir. It must be near eleven o' clock.
我还是不要久待好,先生。准己快十一点了。
Oh, are you aware, Mr. Rochester, that a stranger has arrived here since you left this morning?
呵!你可知道,罗切斯特先生,你早晨走后,有位陌生人到了。
A stranger! No, who can it be? I expected no one. Is he gone?
陌生人!不,会是谁呢?我并没有盼谁来,他走了吗?
No, he said he had known you long, and that he could take the liberty of installing himself here till you returned.
没有呢,他说他与你相识很久,可以冒昧地住下等到你回来。
The devil he did! Did he give his name?
见鬼!他可说了姓名?
His name is Mason, sir, and he comes from the West Indies, from Spanish Town, in Jamaica, I think.
他的名字叫梅森,先生,他是从西印度群岛来的,我想是牙买加的西班牙城。
Mr. Rochester was standing near me.
罗切斯特先生正站在我身旁。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部