搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第254期

查看: 202.5k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:23 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第254期
Not, however, to go to bed. On the contrary, I began and dressed myself carefully.
不过我没有上床。反倒小心地穿好了衣服。
The sounds I had heard after the scream, and the words that had been uttered,
那声尖叫以后传来的响动和大声喊出来的话,
had probably been heard only by me, for they had proceeded from the room above mine.
很可能只有我听到,因为是从我头顶的房间传来的。
But they assured me that it was not a servant's dream which had thus struck horror through the house.
但我很有把握,闹得整所房子惊惶失措的,不是仆人的恶梦。
And that the explanation Mr. Rochester had given was merely an invention framed to pacify his guests.
罗切斯特先生的解释不过是一时的编造,用来稳住客人的情绪而已。
I dressed, then, to be ready for emergencies.
于是我穿上衣服以防不测。
When dressed, I sat a long time by the window
穿戴停当后,我久久地坐在窗边,
looking out over the silent grounds and silvered fields and waiting for I knew not what.
眺望着静谧的庭园和银色的田野,连自己也不知道在等待着什么。
It seemed to me that some event must follow the strange cry, struggle, and call.
我似乎感到,在奇怪的喊叫、搏斗和呼救之后,必定要发生什么事情。
No. Stillness returned. Each murmur and movement ceased gradually,
但没有。一切又复归平静。每个细微的响动都渐渐停止,
and in about an hour Thornfield Hall was again as hushed as a desert.
一小时后整座桑菲尔德府便像沙漠一般沉寂了。
It seemed that sleep and night had resumed their empire.
暗夜与沉睡似乎又恢复了自己的王国。
Meantime the moon declined. She was about to set.
与此同时,月亮下沉,快要隐去。
Not liking to sit in the cold and darkness, I thought I would lie down on my bed, dressed as I was.
我不喜欢那么冷丝丝黑咕隆咚地坐着,心想虽然穿好了衣服,倒还是躺在床上的好。
I left the window, and moved with little noise across the carpet.
我离开了窗子,轻手轻脚地穿过地毯。
As I stooped to take off my shoes, a cautious hand tapped low at the door.
正想弯腰去脱鞋,一只谨慎的手轻轻地敲响了我的门。
"Am I wanted?" I asked.
"要我帮忙吗?"我问。
"Are you up?" asked the voice I expected to hear, viz. , my master's.
"你没有睡?"我意料中的那个声音问道,那是我主人的嗓音。
Yes, sir. And dressed? Yes. Come out, then, quietly.
是的,先生。而且穿了衣服?不错。那就出来吧,轻一点。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部