搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第232期

查看: 295.2k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:26 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第232期
"Well, Blanche?" said Lord Ingram.
"嗨,布兰奇?"英格拉姆勋爵叫道。
"What did she say, sister?" asked Mary.
"她说了什么啦,姐姐?"玛丽问。
"What did you think? How do you feel? Is she a real fortune-teller?" demanded the Misses Eshton.
"你认为怎样?感觉如何?她是个地道算命的吗?"埃希顿姐妹问。
"Now, now, good people," returned Miss Ingram.
"好了,好了,你们这些好人,"英格拉姆小姐回答道。
Don't press upon me. Really your organs of wonder and credulity are easily excited.
别硬逼我了。你们的那些主管惊讶和轻信的器官,也实在太容易给激发起来了。
You seem, by the importance of you all — my good mama included — ascribe to this matter,
你们大家 — 也包括我的好姐姐 — 都那么重视这件事
absolutely to believe we have a genuine witch in the house, who is in close alliance with the old gentleman.
似乎绝对相信这屋子里真有一个与恶魔勾结的巫婆。
I have seen a gipsy vagabond. She has practised in hackneyed fashion the science of palmistry and told me what such people usually tell.
我见过一个吉卜赛流浪者。她用陈腐的方法操弄着手相术,告诉我她们那些人往往会怎样给人算命。
My whim is gratified.
我已经过了解。
And now I think Mr. Eshton will do well to put the hag in the stocks tomorrow morning, as he threatened.
现在我想埃希顿先生会像他恫吓过的那样,行个好,明天一早把这个丑老婆子铐起来。
Miss Ingram took a book, leant back in her chair, and so declined further conversation.
英格拉姆小姐拿了本书,身子往椅背上一靠,不愿再和别人交谈了。
I watched her for nearly half-an-hour.
我观察了她近半个小时。
During all that time she never turned a page,
这半个小时内她没有翻过一页书。
and her face grew momently darker, more dissatisfied, and more sourly expressive of disappointment.
她的脸色一瞬间变得更阴沉、更不满,更加愤怒地流露出失望的心情来。
She had obviously not heard anything to her advantage.
显而易见她没有听到过对她有利的话。
And it seemed to me, from her prolonged fit of gloom and taciturnity, that she herself,
她那么久久地郁郁不欢、沉默无语,倒似乎使我觉得,
notwithstanding her professed indifference, attached undue importance to whatever revelations had been made her.
尽管她表白自己不在乎,其实对女巫所昭示的,过份重视了。
Meantime, Mary Ingram, Amy and Louisa Eshton, declared they dared not go alone, and yet they all wished to go.
同时,玛丽·英格拉姆、艾米和路易莎。埃希顿表示不敢单独前往,却又都希望去试试。
A negotiation was opened through the medium of the ambassador, Sam.
通过萨姆这位使者的斡旋,她们开始了一场谈判。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部