搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第219期

查看: 146.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:29 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第219期
I have told you, reader, that I had learnt to love Mr. Rochester.
我曾告诉过你,读者,我意识到自己爱上了罗切斯特先生。
I could not unlove him now, merely because I found that he had ceased to notice me.
如今我不可能不管他,仅仅因为发现他不再注意我了。
Because I might pass hours in his presence, and he would never once turn his eyes in my direction.
仅仅因为我在他面前度过几小时,而他朝我瞟都不瞟一眼。
Because I saw all his attentions appropriated by a great lady,
仅仅因为我看到他的全部注意力被一位贵妇人所吸引,
who scorned to touch me with the hem of her robes as she passed,
而这位贵妇路过我身边时连长袍的边都不屑碰我一下,
who, if ever her dark and imperious eye fell on me by chance,
阴沉专横的目光碰巧落在我身上时
would withdraw it instantly as from an object too mean to merit observation.
会立即转移,仿佛我太卑微而不值一顾。
I could not unlove him, because I felt sure he would soon marry this very lady.
我不可能不爱他,仅仅因为断定他很快会娶这位小姐。
Because I read daily in her a proud security in his intentions respecting her.
仅仅因为我每天觉察到,她高傲地觉得自己在他心目中的地位己经非常稳固。
Because I witnessed hourly in him a style of courtship which, if careless and choosing rather to be sought than to seek,
仅仅因为我时时刻刻看着他的求婚方式尽管漫不经心,且又表现出宁愿被人追求而不追求别人,
was yet, in its very carelessness, captivating, and in its very pride, irresistible.
却由于随意而显得富有魅力,由于傲慢而愈是不可抗拒。
There was nothing to cool or banish love in these circumstances, though much to create despair.
这种情况虽然很可能造成灰心失望,但丝毫不会使爱情冷却或消失。
Much too, you will think, reader, to engender jealousy.
读者呀,要是处于我这样地位的女人,
If a woman, in my position, could presume to be jealous of a woman in Miss Ingram's.
敢于妒嫉像英格拉姆小姐这样地位的女人的话,你会认为这件事很可以引起妒嫉。
But I was not jealous, or very rarely. The nature of the pain I suffered could not be explained by that word.
但是我不嫉妒,或者说几乎不会。我所经受的痛苦是无法用那两个字来解释的。
Miss Ingram was a mark beneath jealousy.
英格拉姆小姐不值得妒嫉。
She was too inferior to excite the feeling.
她太低下了,激不起我那种感情。
Pardon the seeming paradox; I mean what I say.
请原谅这表面的评论:我是表里一致的。
She was very showy, but she was not genuine.
她好卖弄、但并不真诚。
She had a fine person, many brilliant attainments, but her mind was poor, her heart barren by nature.
她风度很好,而又多才多艺,但头脑浮浅,心灵天生贫瘠。
Nothing bloomed spontaneously on that soil.
在那片土地上没有花朵会自动开放。
No unforced natural fruit delighted by its freshness.
没有哪种不需外力而自然结出的果实会喜欢这种新土。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部