搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第201期

查看: 225.1k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:32 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第201期
I compared him with his guests.
我拿他和他的客人们作了比较。
What was the gallant grace of the Lynns, the languid elegance of Lord Ingram,
他的外表焕发着天生的精力和真正的力量,
even the military distinction of Colonel Dent, contrasted with his look of native pith and genuine power?
相比之下,林恩兄弟的风流倒倜傥,英格拉姆勋爵的散淡文雅--甚至登特上校的英武出众,又算得了什么呢?
I had no sympathy in their appearance, their expression.
我对他们的外貌与表情不以为然。
Yet I could imagine that most observers would call them attractive, handsome, imposing,
但我能想象得出多数旁观者都会称他们英俊迷人、气度不凡,
while they would pronounce Mr. Rochester at once harsh-featured and melancholy-looking.
而毫不犹豫地说罗切斯特先生五宫粗糙、神态忧郁。
I saw them smile, laugh — it was nothing.
我瞧见他们微笑和大笑—都显得微不足道。
The light of the candles had as much soul in it as their smile.
烛光中所潜藏的生气并不亚于他们的微笑。
The tinkle of the bell as much significance as their laugh.
铃声中所包含的意义也并不逊于他们的大笑。
I saw Mr. Rochester smile. His stern features softened;
我看见罗切斯特先生微微一笑。他严厉的五官变得柔和了;
his eye grew both brilliant and gentle, its ray both searching and sweet.
他的眼神转为明亮而温存,目光犀利而又甜蜜。
He was talking, at the moment, to Louisa and Amy Eshton.
这会儿,他同路易莎和艾米·埃希顿交谈着。
I wondered to see them receive with calm that look which seemed to me so penetrating.
我不解地看着她们从容接受他那对于我似乎透入心肺的目光。
I expected their eyes to fall, their colour to rise under it, yet I was glad when I found they were in no sense moved.
我本以为在这种目光下,她们会垂下眼来,脸上会泛起红晕。但我见她们都无动于衷时,心里倒很高兴。
"He is not to them what he is to me," I thought.
"他之于我并不同于他之于她们,"我想。
"He is not of their kind. I believe he is of mine.
"他不属于她们那类人。我相信他与我同声相应。
I am sure he is. I feel akin to him.
我确信如此。我觉得同他意气相投。
I understand the language of his countenance and movements.
他的表情和动作中的含义,我都明白。
Though rank and wealth sever us widely, I have something in my brain and heart, in my blood and nerves, that assimilates me mentally to him.
虽然地位和财富把我们截然分开,但我的头脑里和心里,我的血液里和神经中,有着某种使我与他彼此心灵沟通的东西。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部