搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第204期

查看: 229.8k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:34 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第204期
"Why, I suppose you have a governess for her.
"哈,我想你为她请了个家庭教师。
I saw a person with her just now — is she gone?
刚才我还看到有个人同她在一起呢 — 她走了吗?
Oh, no! there she is still, behind the window-curtain.
呵,没有!她还在那边窗帘的后面。
You pay her, of course. I should think it quite as expensive, more so, for you have them both to keep in addition."
当然你付她工钱。我想这一样很贵 — 更贵,因为你得额外养两个人。"
I feared, or should I say, hoped?
我担心,或者我是否该说,我希望?
The allusion to me would make Mr. Rochester glance my way.
因为提到了我,罗切斯特先生会朝我这边张望。
And I involuntarily shrank farther into the shade, but he never turned his eyes.
所以我不由自主地更往阴影里躲进去,可是他根本没有把目光转移到这边来。
"I have not considered the subject," said he indifferently, looking straight before him.
"我没有考虑过这个问题,"他冷冷地说,眼睛直楞楞地望着前面。
"No, you men never do consider economy and common sense.
"可不,你们男人从来不考虑经济和常识问题,
You should hear mama on the chapter of governesses.
在留家庭教师事儿上,你该听听我妈妈。
Mary and I have had, I should think, a dozen at least in our day.
我想,玛丽和我小时候跟过至少一打家庭教师。
Half of them detestable and the rest ridiculous, and all incubi — were they not, mama?"
一半让人讨厌,其余的十分可笑,而个个都是妖魔 — 是不是,妈妈?"
"Did you speak, my own?"
"你说什么来着,我的宝贝蛋?"
The young lady thus claimed as the dowager's special property, reiterated her question with an explanation.
这位被那个遗孀称为特殊财产的小姐,重新说了一遍她的问题,并作了解释。
"My dearest, don't mention governesses. The word makes me nervous.
"我的宝贝,别提那些家庭教师了。这个字眼本身就便我不安。
I have suffered a martyrdom from their incompetency and caprice.
她们反复无常,毫不称职,让我吃尽了苦头。
I thank Heaven I have now done with them!"
谢天谢地,现在我总算同她们摆脱关系了。"
Mrs. Dent here bent over to the pious lady and whispered something in her ear.
登特太太向这位虔诚的太太俯下身子,向她耳语了一阵。
I suppose, from the answer elicited, it was a reminder that one of the anathematised race was present.
我从对方作出的回答中推测,那是提醒她,她们所诅咒的那类人中的一位,就在现场。
"Tant pis!" said her Ladyship, "I hope it may do her good!"
"Tant pis!"这位太太说,"我希望这对她有好处!"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部