When people get elderly, they often sleep heavy.
人老了,总是睡得很死。
She paused, and then added, with a sort of assumed indifference,
她顿了一顿,随后装作若无其事的样子,
but still in a marked and significant tone: But you are young, Miss, and I should say a light sleeper.
却以清楚而意味深长的语调补充说:不过你很年轻,小姐,而且应当说睡得不熟。
Perhaps you may have heard a noise?
也许你听到了什么声音。
"I did," said I, dropping my voice, so that Leah, who was still polishing the panes, could not hear me.
"我是听到了,"我压低了声音说。这样,仍在擦窗的莉娅就不会听到我了。
And at first I thought it was Pilot: but Pilot cannot laugh, and I am certain I heard a laugh, and a strange one.
起初,我以为是派洛特,可是派洛特不会笑,而我敢肯定,我听到了笑声,古怪的笑声。
She took a new needleful of thread, waxed it carefully, threaded her needle with a steady hand, and then observed,
她又拿了一根线,仔细地上了蜡,她的手沉稳地把线穿进针眼,
with perfect composure: "It is hardly likely master would laugh,
随后非常镇静地说:"我想老爷处在危险之中是不大可能笑的,
I should think, Miss, when he was in such danger. You must have been dreaming."
小姐,你一定是在做梦了。"
"I was not dreaming," I said, with some warmth, for her brazen coolness provoked me.
"我没有做梦,"我带着几分恼火说,因为她那种厚颜无耻的镇定把我激怒了。
Again she looked at me, and with the same scrutinizing and conscious eye.
她又带着同样探究和警惕的目光看着我。
"Have you told master that you heard a laugh?" she inquired.
"你告诉老爷了没有,你听到笑声了?"她问道。
I have not had the opportunity of speaking to him this morning.
早上我还没有机会同他说呢。
"You did not think of opening your door and looking out into the gallery?" she further asked.
"你没有想到开门往走廊里一瞧?"她往下问。
She appeared to be cross-questioning me, attempting to draw from me information unawares.
她似乎在盘问我,想在不知不觉中把我的话掏出来。
The idea struck me that if she discovered I knew or suspected her guilt,
我忽然想到,她要是发觉我知道或是怀疑她的罪行,
she would be playing of some of her malignant pranks on me.
就会恶意作弄我。
I thought it advisable to be on my guard.
我想还是警惕为妙。