搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第167期

查看: 304.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:38 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第167期
"On the contrary," said I, "I bolted my door."
"恰恰相反,"我说,"我把门拴上了。"
Then you are not in the habit of bolting your door every night before you get into bed?
那你每天睡觉之前没有拴门的习惯吗?
Fiend! she wants to know my habits, that she may lay her plans accordingly!
这恶魔!她想知道我的习惯,好以此来算计我!
Indignation again prevailed over prudence.
愤怒再次压倒谨慎。
I replied sharply, "Hitherto I have often omitted to fasten the bolt. I did not think it necessary.
我尖刻地回答:"到目前为止我还是常常忽略了拴门,我认为没有这必要。
I was not aware any danger or annoyance was to be dreaded at Thornfield Hall.
我以前没有意识到在桑菲尔德还要担心什么危险或者烦恼。
But in future (and I laid marked stress on the words) I shall take good care to make all secure before I venture to lie down.
不过将来(我特别强调了这几个字),我要小心谨慎,弄得一切都安安全全了才敢躺下睡觉。
"It will be wise so to do," was her answer.
"这样做才聪明呢,"她回答。
This neighbourhood is as quiet as any I know,
这一带跟我知道的任何地方都一样安静,
and I never heard of the hall being attempted by robbers since it was a house,
打从府宅建成以来、我还没有听说过有强盗上门呢。
though there are hundreds of pounds' worth of plate in the plate-closet, as is well known.
尽管谁都知道,盘子柜里有价值几百英镑的盘子。
And you see, for such a large house, there are very few servants,
而且你知道,老爷不在这里长住,就是来住,
because master has never lived here much, and when he does come, being a bachelor, he needs little waiting on.
因为是单身汉也不大要人服侍,所以这么大的房子,只有很少几个仆人。
But I always think it best to err on the safe side.
不过我总认为过份注意安全总比不注意安全好。
A door is soon fastened, and it is as well to have a drawn bolt between one and any mischief that may be about.
门一下子就能拴上,还是拴上门,把自己和可能发生的祸害隔开为好。
A deal of people, Miss, are for trusting all to Providence.
小姐,很多人都把一切托付给上帝。
But I say Providence will not dispense with the means, though He often blesses them when they are used discreetly.
但要我说呀,上帝不会排斥采取措施,尽管他只常常祝福那些谨慎采取的措施。
And here she closed her harangue.
说到这里她结束了长篇演说。
A long one for her, and uttered with the demureness of a Quakeress.
这番话对地来说是够长的了,而且口气里带着贵格会女教徒的假正经。
I still stood absolutely dumfounded at what appeared to me her miraculous self-possession and most inscrutable hypocrisy, when the cook entered.
我依旧站在那里,正被她出奇的镇定和难以理解的虚伪弄得目瞪口呆时,厨师进门来了。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部