搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第156期

查看: 287.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:41 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第156期
Though I had now extinguished my candle and was laid down in bed,
虽然我已经灭了蜡烛,躺在床上,
I could not sleep for thinking of his look when he paused in the avenue,
但一想起他在林荫道上停下步来时的神色,我便无法入睡。
and told how his destiny had risen up before him, and dared him to be happy at Thornfield.
那时他说命运之神已出现在他面前,并且问他敢不敢在桑菲尔德获得幸福。
"Why not?" I asked myself.
"为什么不敢呢,"我问自己。
What alienates him from the house?
是什么使他与府楼疏远了呢?
Will he leave it again soon?
他会马上再次离开吗?
Mrs. Fairfax said he seldom stayed here longer than a fortnight at a time.
费尔法克斯太太说,他一次所呆的时间,难得超过两周。
And he has now been resident eight weeks.
而现在他己经住了八周了。
If he does go, the change will be doleful.
要是他真的走了,所引起的变化会令人悲哀。
Suppose he should be absent spring, summer, and autumn, how joyless sunshine and fine days will seem!
设想他春、夏、秋三季都不在,那风和日丽的好日子会显得多没有劲!
I hardly know whether I had slept or not after this musing.
我几乎不知道这番沉思之后是否睡着过。
At any rate, I started wide awake on hearing a vague murmur,
总之我一听到含糊的喃喃声之后,便完全惊醒过来了。
peculiar and lugubrious, which sounded, I thought, just above me.
那声音古怪而悲哀,我想就是从我房间的楼上传出来的。
I wished I had kept my candle burning.
要是我仍旧点着蜡烛该多好。
The night was drearily dark.
夜黑得可怕。
My spirits were depressed.
而我情绪低沉。
I rose and sat up in bed, listening. The sound was hushed.
我于是爬起来坐在床上,静听着。那声音又消失了。
I tried again to sleep, but my heart beat anxiously:
我竭力想再睡,但我的心却焦急不安地蹦蹦乱跳。
My inward tranquillity was broken.
我内心的平静给打破了。
The clock, far down in the hall, struck two.
远在楼底下的大厅里,时钟敲响了两点。
Just then it seemed my chamber-door was touched;
就在那时,我的房门似乎被碰了一下。
As if fingers had swept the panels in groping a way along the dark gallery outside.
仿佛有人摸黑走过外面的走廊时,手指擦过嵌板一样。
I said, "Who is there?" Nothing answered. I was chilled with fear.
我问,"谁在那里?"没有回答。我吓得浑身冰凉。
All at once I remembered that it might be Pilot, who, when the kitchen-door chanced to be left open,
我蓦地想起这可能是派洛特,厨房门偶尔开着的时候,
not unfrequently found his way up to the threshold of Mr. Rochester's chamber.
它常常会设法来到罗切斯特先生卧室的门口。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部