搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第153期

查看: 298.6k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:41 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第153期
It was not till after I had withdrawn to my own chamber for the night,
我回到自己的房间过夜,
that I steadily reviewed the tale Mr. Rochester had told me.
才从容地回味罗切斯特先生告诉我的故事。
As he had said, there was probably nothing at all extraordinary in the substance of the narrative itself.
如他所说,从叙述的内容来看,也许丝毫没有特别的地方。
A wealthy Englishman's passion for a French dancer,
无非是一个有钱的英国男人对一个法国舞女的恋情,
and her treachery to him, were everyday matters enough, no doubt, in society.
以及她对他的背离。这类事在上流社会中无疑是司空见惯的。
But there was something decidedly strange in the paroxysm of emotion which had suddenly seized him
但是,他在谈起自己目前心满意足,并对古老的府楼和周围的环境恢复了一种新的乐趣时,
when he was in the act of expressing the present contentment of his mood,
突然变得情绪冲动,
and his newly revived pleasure in the old hall and its environs.
这实在有些蹊跷。
I meditated wonderingly on this incident,
我带着疑问思索着这个细节,
but gradually quitting it, as I found it for the present inexplicable,
但渐渐地便作罢了,因为眼下我觉得它不可思议。
I turned to the consideration of my master's manner to myself.
我转而考虑起我主人对我的态度来。
The confidence he had thought fit to repose in me seemed a tribute to my discretion.
他认为可以同我无话不谈,这似乎是对我处事审慎的赞美。
I regarded and accepted it as such.
因此我也就如此来看待和接受了。
His deportment had now for some weeks been more uniform towards me than at the first.
几周来他在我面前的举动己不像当初那样变化无常。
I never seemed in his way.
他似乎从不认为我碍手碍脚。
He did not take fits of chilling hauteur.
也没有动不动露出冷冰冰的傲慢态度来。
When he met me unexpectedly, the encounter seemed welcome.
有时他同我不期而遇,对这样的碰面,他似乎也很欢迎。
He had always a word and sometimes a smile for me.
总是有一两句话要说,有时还对我笑笑。
When summoned by formal invitation to his presence,
我被正式邀请去见他时,
I was honoured by a cordiality of reception that made me feel I really possessed the power to amuse him,
很荣幸地受到了热情接待,因而觉得自己确实具有为他解闷的能力。
and that these evening conferences were sought as much for his pleasure as for my benefit.
晚上的会见既是为了我,也是为了他的愉快。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部