搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第165期

查看: 232.2k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:42 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第165期
There she sat, staid and taciturn-looking, as usual, in her brown stuff gown, her check apron, white handkerchief, and cap.
她坐在那里,还是往常那付沉默寡言的样子,穿着褐色料子服,系着格子围裙,揣着白手帕,戴着帽子。
She was intent on her work, in which her whole thoughts seemed absorbed.
她专心致志地忙着手头的活儿,似乎全身心都扑上去了。
On her hard forehead, and in her commonplace features, was nothing either of the paleness or desperation
她冷漠的额头和普普通通的五官,既不显得苍白,也不见绝望的表情,
one would have expected to see marking the countenance of a woman who had attempted murder,
那种人们期望在一个蓄谋杀人的女人脸上看到的表情特征,
and whose intended victim had followed her last night to her lair, and (as I believed) , charged her with the crime she wished to perpetrate.
而且那位受害者昨晚跟踪到了她的藏身之处,并(如我所相信)指控她蓄意犯罪。
I was amazed — confounded.
我十分惊讶,甚至感到惶惑。
She looked up, while I still gazed at her.
我继续盯着她看时,她抬起了头来。
No start, no increase or failure of colour betrayed emotion, consciousness of guilt, or fear of detection.
没有惊慌之态,没有变脸色,而因此泄露她的情绪和负罪感,以及害怕被发现的恐惧心理。
She said "Good morning, Miss," in her usual phlegmatic and brief manner, and taking up another ring and more tape, went on with her sewing.
她以平时那种冷淡和简慢的态度说了声:"早安,小姐,"又拿起一个挂环和一圈线带,继续缝了起来。
"I will put her to some test," thought I: "such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension."
"我倒要试试她看,"我想,"那么丝毫不露声色是令人难以理解的"。
"Good morning, Grace," I said.
"早安,格雷斯,"我说。
Has anything happened here? I thought I heard the servants all talking together a while ago.
这儿发生了什么事吗?我想刚才我听到仆人们都议论纷纷呢。
Only master had been reading in his bed last night.
不过是昨晚老爷躺在床上看书。
He fell asleep with his candle lit, and the curtains got on fire.
亮着蜡烛就睡着了,床幔起了火。
But, fortunately, he awoke before the bed-clothes or the wood-work caught, and contrived to quench the flames with the water in the ewer.
幸亏床单或木板还没着火他就醒了,想法用罐子里的水浇灭了火焰。
"A strange affair!" I said, in a low voice.
"怪事!"我低声说。
Then, looking at her fixedly, "Did Mr. Rochester wake nobody? Did no one hear him move?"
随后目光紧盯着她,"罗切斯特先生没有弄醒谁吗!你没有听到他走动?"
She again raised her eyes to me, and this time there was something of consciousness in their expression.
她再次抬眼看我,这回她的眸子里露出了一种若有所悟的表情。
She seemed to examine me warily.
她似乎先警惕地审视我。
Then she answered:The servants sleep so far off, you know, Miss, they would not be likely to hear.
然后才回答道:仆人们睡的地方离得很远,你知道的,小姐,她们不可能听到。
Mrs. Fairfax's room and yours are the nearest to master's, but Mrs. Fairfax said she heard nothing.
费尔法克斯太太的房间和你的离老爷的卧室最近,但费尔法克斯太太说她没有听到什么。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部