搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第124期

查看: 135.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:43 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第124期
"Come to the fire," said the master,
"坐到火炉边来,"这位主人说。
when the tray was taken away, and Mrs. Fairfax had settled into a corner with her knitting,
这时托盘己经端走,费尔法克斯太太躲进角落忙着编织,
while Adele was leading me by the hand round the room,
阿黛勒拉住我的手在房间里打转,
showing me the beautiful books and ornaments on the consoles and chiffonnieres.
把她放在架子和柜子上的漂亮的书籍和饰品拿给我看,
We obeyed, as in duty bound.
我们义不容辞地服从了。
Adele wanted to take a seat on my knee, but she was ordered to amuse herself with Pilot.
阿黛勒想坐在我膝头上,却被吩咐去逗派洛特玩了。
You have been resident in my house three months?
你在我这里住了三个月了吧?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
And you came from —?
你来自...
From Lowood school, in —shire.
××郡的罗沃德学校。
Ah! a charitable concern. How long were you there?
噢!一个慈善机构。你在那里呆了几年?
Eight years.
八年。
Eight years! You must be tenacious of life.
八年!你的生命力一定是够顽强的。
I thought half the time in such a place would have done up any constitution!
我认为在那种地方就是呆上一半时间,也会把身体搞跨!
No wonder you have rather the look of another world.
怪不得你那种样子像是从另外一个世界来的。
I marvelled where you had got that sort of face.
我很奇怪,你从哪儿得来了那种面孔。
When you came on me in Hay Lane last night, I thought unaccountably of fairy tales,
昨晚我在海路上碰到你的时候,不由得想到了童话故事,
and had half a mind to demand whether you had bewitched my horse.
而且真有点想问问你,是不是你迷住了我的马。
I am not sure yet.
不过我现在仍不敢肯定。
Who are your parents?
你父母是谁?
I have none.
我没有父母。
Nor ever had, I suppose. Do you remember them?
从来没有过,我猜想,你还记得他们吗?
No.
不记得。
I thought not. And so you were waiting for your people when you sat on that stile?
我想也记不得了。所以你坐在台阶上等你自己的人来?
For whom, sir?
等谁,先生?
For the men in green. It was a proper moonlight evening for them.
等绿衣仙人呗,晚上月光皎洁,正是他们出没的好时光。
Did I break through one of your rings, that you spread that damned ice on the causeway?
是不是我冲破了你们的圈子,你就在路面上撒下了那该死的冰?
I shook my head.
我摇了摇头。
"The men in green all forsook England a hundred years ago, "said I, speaking as seriously as he had done.
"绿衣仙人几百年前就离开了英格兰,"我也像他一样一本正经地说。
And not even in Hay Lane, or the fields about it, could you find a trace of them.
就是在海路上或者附近的田野,你也见不到他们的一丝踪迹。
I don't think either summer or harvest, or winter moon, will ever shine on their revels more.
我想夏天、秋夜或者冬季的月亮再也不会照耀他们的狂欢了。
Mrs. Fairfax had dropped her knitting, and, with raised eyebrows, seemed wondering what sort of talk this was.
费尔法克斯太太放下手中的织物,竖起眉毛,似乎对这类谈话感到惊异。
"Well, "resumed Mr. Rochester, "if you disown parents, you must have some sort of kinsfolk: uncles and aunts?"
好吧,罗切斯特先生继续说,"要是你没有父母,总应该有些亲人。譬如叔伯姑嫂等?"
No. None that I ever saw.
没有,就我所知,一个也没有。
And your home?
那么你家在哪儿?
I have none.
我没有家。
Where do your brothers and sisters live?
你兄弟姐妹住在哪儿?
I have no brothers or sisters.
我没有兄弟姐妹。
Who recommended you to come here?
谁推荐你到这里来的呢?
I advertised, and Mrs. Fairfax answered my advertisement.
我自己登广告,费尔法克斯太太答复了我。
"Yes," said the good lady, who now knew what ground we were upon.
"是的,"这位好心的太太说,此刻她才弄明白我们谈话的立足点。
And I am daily thankful for the choice Providence led me to make.
我每天感谢主引导我作出了这个选择。
Miss Eyre has been an invaluable companion to me, and a kind and careful teacher to Adele.
爱小姐对我是个不可多得的伙伴,对阿黛勒是位和气细心的教师。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部