搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第123期

查看: 191.8k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:44 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第123期
Mrs. Fairfax seemed to think it necessary that some one should be amiable, and she began to talk.
费尔法克斯太太好像认为总需要有人随和些,于是便先开始说起话来。
Kindly, as usual — and, as usual, rather trite — she condoled with him on the pressure of business he had had all day.
照例和和气气,也照例很陈腐。对他整天紧张处理事务而表示同情。
On the annoyance it must have been to him with that painful sprain.
对扭伤的痛苦所带来的烦恼表示慰问。
Then she commended his patience and perseverance in going through with it.
随后赞扬了他承受这一切的耐心与毅力。
“Madam, I should like some tea,” was the sole rejoinder she got.
“太太,我想喝茶,”这是她所得到的唯一的回答。
She hastened to ring the bell.
她赶紧去打铃。
And when the tray came, she proceeded to arrange the cups, spoons, etc. , with assiduous celerity.
托盘端上来时,又去张罗杯子,茶匙等,显得巴结而麻利。
I and Adèle went to the table, but the master did not leave his couch.
我和阿黛勒走近桌子,而这位主人并没离开他的睡榻。
“Will you hand Mr. Rochester's cup?” said Mrs. Fairfax to me; “Adèle might perhaps spill it.”
“请你把罗切斯特先生的杯子端过去,”费尔法克斯太太对我说,“阿黛勒也许会泼洒出去的。”
I did as requested.
我按她的要求做了。
As he took the cup from my hand, Adèle, thinking the moment propitious for making a request in my favour, cried out:
他从我手里接过杯子时,阿黛勒也许认为乘机可以为我提出个请求来,她叫道:
"N' est-ce pas, monsieur, qu 'il y a un cadeau pour Mademoiselle Eyre dans votre petit coffre?"
“不,先生,在你的小金库有一个礼物给简爱小姐?”
"Who talks of cadeaux? "said he gruffly.
“谁说起过?”他生硬地说。
"Did you expect a present, Miss Eyre? Are you fond of presents?"
“你盼望一份礼物吗,爱小姐?你喜欢礼物吗?”
and he searched my face with eyes that I saw were dark, irate, and piercing.
他用一双在我看来阴沉恼怒而富有穿透力的眼睛,搜索着我的面容。
I hardly know, sir. I have little experience of them. They are generally thought pleasant things.
我说不上来,先生,我对这些东西没有什么经验,一般认为是讨人喜欢的。
Generally thought? But what do you think?
一般认为:可是你认为呢?
I should be obliged to take time, sir, before I could give you an answer worthy of your acceptance.
我得需要一点时间,先生,才能作出值得你接受的回答。
A present has many faces to it, has it not?
一件礼物可以从多方面去看它,是不是?
And one should consider all, before pronouncing an opinion as to its nature.
而人们需要全面考虑,才能发表关于礼物性质的意见。
Miss Eyre, you are not so unsophisticated as Adèle.
爱小姐,你不像阿黛勒那么单纯。
She demands a 'cadeau,' clamorously, the moment she sees me. You beat about the bush.
她一见到我就嚷着要‘礼物’,而你却转弯抹角。
"Because I have less confidence in my deserts than Adèle has.
因为我对自己是否配得礼物,不像阿黛勒那么有信心。
She can prefer the claim of old acquaintance, and the right too of custom,
她可凭老关系老习惯提出要求,
for she says you have always been in the habit of giving her playthings.
因为她说你一贯送她玩具。
But if I had to make out a case I should be puzzled,
但如果要我发表看法的话,我就不知道该怎么说了,
since I am a stranger, and have done nothing to entitle me to an acknowledgment.
因为我是个陌生人,没有做过什么值得感谢的事情。
Oh, don't fall back on over-modesty!
啊,别以过份谦虚来搪塞!
I have examined Adèle, and find you have taken great pains with her.
我己经检查过阿黛勒的功课,发现你为她花了很大力气,
She is not bright, she has no talents, yet in a short time she has made much improvement.
她并不聪明,也没有什么天份,但在短期内取得了很大进步。
“Sir, you have now given me my 'cadeau;' I am obliged to you.
“先生,你已经给了我‘礼物’,我很感谢你。
It is the meed teachers most covet — praise of their pupils' progress.
赞扬学生的进步,是教师们最向往的酬劳。
"Humph!" said Mr. Rochester, and he took his tea in silence.
“哼!”罗切斯特先生哼了一声,默默地喝起茶来。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部