搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第122期

查看: 192.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:44 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第122期
Two wax candles stood lighted on the table, and two on the mantelpiece.
两支蜡烛点在桌上,两支点在壁炉台上。
Basking in the light and heat of a superb fire, lay Pilot — Adèle knelt near him.
派洛特躺着,沐浴在一堆旺火的光和热之中,阿黛勒跪在它旁边。
Half reclined on a couch appeared Mr. Rochester, his foot supported by the cushion;
罗切斯特先生半倚在睡榻上,脚下垫着坐垫。
He was looking at Adèle and the dog.
他正端详着阿黛勒和狗。
The fire shone full on his face.
炉火映出了他的脸。
I knew my traveller with his broad and jetty eyebrows.
我知道我见过的这位赶路人有着浓密的宽眉。
His square forehead, made squarer by the horizontal sweep of his black hair.
方正的额头,上面横流着的一片黑发,使额头显得更加方正。
I recognised his decisive nose, more remarkable for character than beauty.
我认得他那坚毅的鼻子,它与其说是因为英俊,倒还不如说显出了性格而引人注目。
His full nostrils, denoting, I thought, choler.
他那丰满的鼻孔,我想,表明他容易发怒。
His grim mouth, chin, and jaw — yes, all three were very grim, and no mistake.
他那严厉的嘴巴、下额和颅骨,是的,三者都很严厉,一点都不错。
His shape, now divested of cloak, I perceived harmonised in squareness with his physiognomy.
我发现,他此刻脱去斗篷以后的身材,同他容貌的方正很相配。
I suppose it was a good figure in the athletic sense of the term — broad chested and thin flanked, though neither tall nor graceful.
我想从运动员的角度看,他胸宽腰细,身材很好,尽管既不高大,也不优美。
Mr. Rochester must have been aware of the entrance of Mrs. Fairfax and myself.
罗切斯特先生准已知道,费尔法克斯太太和我进了门。
But it appeared he was not in the mood to notice us, for he never lifted his head as we approached.
但他似乎没有兴致来注意我们,我们走近时,他连头都没有抬。
“Here is Miss Eyre, sir,” said Mrs. Fairfax, in her quiet way.
“爱小姐来了,先生,”费尔法克斯太太斯斯文文地说。
He bowed, still not taking his eyes from the group of the dog and child.
他点了下头,目光依旧没有离开狗和孩子。
“Let Miss Eyre be seated,” said he.
“让爱小姐坐下吧,”他说。
And there was something in the forced stiff bow, in the impatient yet formal tone, which seemed further to express,
他僵硬勉强的点头样子,不耐烦而又一本正经的说话语气,另有一番意思,似乎进一步表示,
What the deuce is it to me whether Miss Eyre be there or not? At this moment I am not disposed to accost her.
活见鬼,爱小姐在不在同我有什么关系?现在我不想同她打招呼。”
I sat down quite disembarrassed.
我坐了下来,一点也不窘。
A reception of finished politeness would probably have confused me.
礼仪十足地接待我,倒反会使我手足无措。
I could not have returned or repaid it by answering grace and elegance on my part, but harsh caprice laid me under no obligation.
因为在我来说,无法报之以温良恭谦。而粗鲁任性可以使我不必拘礼。
On the contrary, a decent quiescence, under the freak of manner, gave me the advantage.
相反,行为古怪又合乎礼仪的沉默,却给我带来了方便。
Besides, the eccentricity of the proceeding was piquant.
此外,这反常接待议程也是够有意思的。
I felt interested to see how he would go on.
我倒有兴趣看看他究竟如何继续下去。
He went on as a statue would, that is, he neither spoke nor moved.
他继续像一尊塑像般呆着,既不说话,也不动弹。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部