搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第130期

查看: 290.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:46 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第130期
For several subsequent days I saw little of Mr.Rochester.
后来的几天我很少见到罗切斯特先生。
In the mornings he seemed much engaged with business,
早上他似乎忙于事务,
and, in the afternoon, gentlemen from Millcote or the neighbourhood called, and sometimes stayed to dine with him.
下午接待从米尔科特或附近来造访的绅士,有时他们留下来与他共进晚餐。
When his sprain was well enough to admit of horse exercise, he rode out a good deal.
他的伤势好转到可以骑马时,便经常骑马外出。
Probably to return these visits, as he generally did not come back till late at night.
也许是回访,往往到深夜才回来。
During this interval, even Adèle was seldom sent for to his presence,
在这期间,连阿黛勒也很少给叫到他跟前。
and all my acquaintance with him was confined to an occasional rencontre in the hall, on the stairs, or in the gallery,
我同他的接触,只限于在大厅里、楼梯上,或走廊上偶然相遇。
when he would sometimes pass me haughtily and coldly,
他有时高傲冷漠地从我身边走过,
just acknowledging my presence by a distant nod or a cool glance, and sometimes bow and smile with gentlemanlike affability.
远远地点一下头或冷冷地瞥一眼,承认了我的存在,而有时却很有绅士风度,和蔼可亲地鞠躬和微笑。
His changes of mood did not offend me, because I saw that I had nothing to do with their alternation;
他情绪的反复并没有使我生气,因为我明白这种变化与我无关。
The ebb and flow depended on causes quite disconnected with me.
他情绪的起伏完全是由于同我不相干的原因。
One day he had had company to dinner, and had sent for my portfolio; in order, doubtless, to exhibit its contents:
一天有客来吃饭,他派人来取我的画夹,无疑是要向人家出示里面的画。
the gentlemen went away early, to attend a public meeting at Millcote, as Mrs. Fairfax informed me;
绅士们走得很早,费尔法克斯太太告诉我,他们要到米尔科特去参加一个公众大会。
but the night being wet and inclement, Mr. Rochester did not accompany them.
但那天晚上有雨,天气恶劣、罗切斯特先生没有去作陪。
Soon after they were gone he rang the bell.
他们走后不久,他便打铃。
a message came that I and Adèle were to go downstairs.
传话来让我和阿黛勒下楼去。
I brushed Adèle's hair and made her neat,
我梳理了阿黛勒的头发,把她打扮得整整齐齐,
and having ascertained that I was myself in my usual Quaker trim, where there was nothing to retouch.
我自己穿上了平时的贵格会服装,知道确实已经没有再修饰的余地。
All being too close and plain, braided locks included, to admit of disarrangement.
一切都那么贴身而又朴实,包括编了辫子的头发在内,丝毫不见凌乱的痕迹
We descended.
我们便下楼去了。
Adèle wondering whether the petit coffre was at length come;
阿黛勒正疑惑着,不知她的小箱子终于到了没有。
For, owing to some mistake, its arrival had hitherto been delayed.
因为某些差错,它直到现在还迟迟未来。
She was gratified: there it stood, a little carton, on the table when we entered the dining-room.
我们走进餐室,只见桌上放着一个小箱子。阿黛勒非常高兴,
She appeared to know it by instinct.
她似乎凭直觉就知道了。
"Ma boite! Ma boite!" exclaimed she, running towards it.
"我的箱子。我的箱子!"她大嚷着朝它奔过去。
Yes, there is your 'boite' at last.
是的,你的‘箱子’终于到了。
take it into a corner, you genuine daughter of Paris, and amuse yourself with disembowelling it,"
把它拿到一个角落去,你这位地道的巴黎女儿,你就去掏你盒子里的东西玩儿吧。"
said the deep and rather sarcastic voice of Mr. Rochester, proceeding from the depths of an immense easy-chair at the fireside.
罗切斯特先生用深沉而颇有些讥讽的口吻说,那声音是从火炉旁巨大的安乐椅深处发出来的。
"And mind," he continued, "don't bother me with any details of the anatomical process,
"记住,"他继续说,"别用解剖过程的细枝末节问题
or any notice of the condition of the entrails.
或者内脏情况的通报来打搅我。
Let your operation be conducted in silence. Tiens-toi tranquille, enfant; comprends-tu?"
你就静静地去动手术吧 — 你是孩子;明白吗?"
Adèle seemed scarcely to need the warning.
阿黛勒似乎并不需要提醒。
She had already retired to a sofa with her treasure, and was busy untying the cord which secured the lid.
她已经带着她的宝贝退到了一张沙发上,这会儿正忙着解开系住盖子的绳子。
Having removed this impediment, and lifted certain silvery envelopes of tissue paper,
她清除了这个障碍,揭起银色包装薄纸,
she merely exclaimed:"Oh ciel! Que c' est beau!"
光一个劲儿地大嚷着:"哦!天空!多美啊!"
And then remained absorbed in ecstatic contemplation."
随后便沉浸在兴奋的沉思中。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部