搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第136期

查看: 232.7k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:47 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第136期
He had deigned an explanation, almost an apology,
他己降格作了解释。近乎道歉。
and I did not feel insensible to his condescension, and would not seem so.
我对他的屈尊俯就并没有无动于衷,也不想显得如此。
I am willing to amuse you, if I can, sir — quite willing,
先生,只要我能够,我是乐意为你解闷的,十分乐意。
but I cannot introduce a topic, because how do I know what will interest you?
不过我不能随便谈个话题,因为我怎么知道你对什么感兴趣呢?
Ask me questions, and I will do my best to answer them.
你提问吧,我尽力回答。
Then, in the first place, do you agree with me
那么首先一个问题是,你同不同意,基于我所陈述的理由,
that I have a right to be a little masterful, abrupt, perhaps exacting, sometimes, on the grounds I stated,
我有权在某些时候稍微专横、唐突或者严厉些呢?
namely, that I am old enough to be your father,
我的理由是,按我的年纪。我可以做你的父亲,
and that I have battled through a varied experience with many men of many nations, and roamed over half the globe,
而且有着多变的人生阅历,同很多国家的很多人打过交道。漂泊了半个地球。
while you have lived quietly with one set of people in one house?
而你却是太太平平地跟同一类人生活在同一幢房子里。
Do as you please, sir.
你爱怎样就怎样吧,先生。
That is no answer, or rather it is a very irritating, because a very evasive one. Reply clearly.
你并没有回答我的问题。或是说,你回答很气人,因为含糊其词——回答得明确些。
I don't think, sir, you have a right to command me,
先生,我并不认为你有权支使我,
merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have.
仅仅因为你年纪比我大些,或者比我阅历丰富。
Your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.
你所说的优越感取决于你对时间和经历的利用。
Humph! Promptly spoken. But I won't allow that, seeing that it would never suit my case,
哼!答得倒快。但我不承认,我认为与我的情况绝不相符,
as I have made an indifferent, not to say a bad, use of both advantages.
因为对两者的有利条件,我毫无兴趣。
Leaving superiority out of the question, then,
更不必说没有充分利用了。
you must still agree to receive my orders now and then, without being piqued or hurt by the tone of command. Will you?
那么我们暂且不谈这优越性问题吧,但你必须偶偶尔听候我吩咐,而不因为命令的口吻面生气或伤心,好吗?
I smiled. I thought to myself Mr. Rochester is peculiar.
我微微一笑。我暗自思忖道,"罗切斯特先生也真奇怪。
He seems to forget that he pays me 30 pounds per annum for receiving his orders.
他好像忘了,付我三十镑年薪是让我听他吩咐的。
"The smile is very well," said he, catching instantly the passing expression; "but speak too."
"笑得好,"他立即抓住了转瞬即逝表情说,"不过还得开口讲话。"
I was thinking, sir, that very few masters would trouble themselves to inquire
先生,我在想,很少有主人会费心去问他们雇佣的下属,
whether or not their paid subordinates were piqued and hurt by their orders.
会不会因为被吩咐而生气和伤心。
Paid subordinates! What! You are my paid subordinate, are you?
雇佣的下属!什么,你是我雇佣的下属是不是?
Oh yes, I had forgotten the salary!
哦,是的,我把薪俸的事儿给忘了?

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部