搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第108期

查看: 315.8k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:49 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第108期
No feature in the scene was extraordinary, but all was pleasing.
这番景色并无出奇之外,但一切都显得赏心悦目。
When I turned from it and repassed the trap-door, I could scarcely see my way down the ladder.
当我转过身,再次经过活动天窗时,我几乎看不清下扶梯的路了。
The attic seemed black as a vault compared with that arch of blue air to which I had been looking up,
同我刚才抬头观望的蓝色苍穹相比,同我兴致勃勃地俯瞰过,
and to that sunlit scene of grove, pasture, and green hill, of which the hall was the centre,
以桑菲尔德府为核心展开的阳光照耀下的树林、牧场和绿色小山的景致相比,
and over which I had been gazing with delight.
这阁楼便犹如墓穴一般黑了。
Mrs. Fairfax stayed behind a moment to fasten the trap-door.
费尔法克斯太太比我晚走一会儿,拴上活动天窗。
I, by drift of groping, found the outlet from the attic, and proceeded to descend the narrow garret staircase.
我摸索着找到了顶楼的出口,并爬下狭窄顶楼的扶梯。
I lingered in the long passage to which this led, separating the front and back rooms of the third storey:
我在楼梯口长长的过道上踯躅,这条过道把三楼的前房与后房隔开,
narrow, low, and dim, with only one little window at the far end, and looking,
又窄、又低、又暗,仅在远远的尽头有一扇小窗,
with its two rows of small black doors all shut, like a corridor in some Bluebeard's castle.
两排黑色的小门全都关着,活像蓝胡子城堡里的一条走廊。
While I paced softly on, the last sound I expected to hear in so still a region, a laugh, struck my ear.
我正轻轻地缓步往前时,万万没有料到在这个静悄悄的地方,竟然听见了一阵笑声。
It was a curious laugh; distinct, formal, mirthless.
这笑声很古怪,清晰、拘谨,悲哀。
I stopped. the sound ceased, only for an instant; it began again, louder.
我停下步来,这声音也停止了。刹那间以后,笑声重又响起,声音越来越大。
For at first, though distinct, it was very low.
不依才起来时虽然清晰却很低沉。
It passed off in a clamorous peal that seemed to wake an echo in every lonely chamber.
这笑声震耳欲聋般地响了一阵以后便停止了,其声音之大足可以在每间孤寂的房子里引起回声。
Though it originated but in one, and I could have pointed out the door whence the accents issued.
尽管这声音不过来自一个房间,但我完全能指出是从哪扇门传出来的。
"Mrs. Fairfax!" I called out, for I now heard her descending the great stairs.
“费尔法克斯太太?”我大声叫道,因为这时正听见她走下顶楼的楼梯。
"Did you hear that loud laugh? Who is it?"
“你听见响亮的笑声了吗?那是谁呀?”
"Some of the servants, very likely." she answered: "perhaps Grace Poole."
“很可能是些仆人,”她回答说,“也许是格雷斯.普尔。”
"Did you hear it?" I again inquired.
“你听到了吗?”我又问。
Yes, plainly. I often hear her. She sews in one of these rooms.
听到了,很清楚。我常常听到她,她在这儿的一间房子里做针线活,
Sometimes Leah is with her. They are frequently noisy together.
有时莉娅也在,这两个人在一块总是闹闹嚷嚷的。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部