October, November, December passed away.
十月、十一月和十二月过去了。
One afternoon in January, Mrs. Fairfax had begged a holiday for Adèle, because she had a cold;
第二年一月的某个下午,因为阿黛勒得了感冒,费尔法克斯太太为她来向我告假。
And, as Adèle seconded the request with an ardour that reminded me how precious occasional holidays had been to me in my own childhood,
黛勒表示热烈附加,这使我想起自己的童年时代,偶尔的假日显得有多可贵。
I accorded it, deeming that I did well in showing pliability on the point.
阿于是便同意了,还认为自己在这点上做得很有灵活性。
It was a fine, calm day, though very cold.
这是一个十分寒冷却很宁静的好天。
I was tired of sitting still in the library through a whole long morning.
我讨厌静坐书房,消磨整个长长的下午。
Mrs. Fairfax had just written a letter which was waiting to be posted,
费尔法克斯太太刚写好了一封信,等着去邮奇。
so I put on my bonnet and cloak and volunteered to carry it to Hay.
于是我戴好帽子,披了斗篷,自告奋勇把信送到海镇去。
The distance, two miles, would be a pleasant winter afternoon walk.
冬昌下午步行两英里路,不失为一件快事。
Having seen Adèle comfortably seated in her little chair by Mrs. Fairfax's parlour fireside,
我看到阿戴勒舒舒服服地坐在费尔法克斯太太的客厅炉火边的小椅子上,
and given her her best wax doll (which I usually kept enveloped in silver paper in a drawer) to play with, and a story-book for change of amusement.
给了她最好的蜡制娃娃(平时我用锡纸包好放在抽屉里)玩,还给了一本故事书换换口味。
And having replied to her "Revenez bientot, ma bonne amie, ma chere Mdlle. Jeannette," with a kiss I set out.
听她说了“亲爱的简,我刚回来不久”后,我吻了她一下,算是对她的回答,随后便出发了。
The ground was hard, the air was still, my road was lonely.
地面坚硬,空气沉静,路沟寂寞。
I walked fast till I got warm, and then I walked slowly to enjoy and analyse the species of pleasure brooding for me in the hour and situation.
我走得很快,直到浑身暖和起来才放慢脚步,欣赏和品味此时此景蕴蓄着的种种欢乐。
It was three o' clock. The church bell tolled as I passed under the belfry.
时候是三点,我经过钟楼时,教堂的钟正好敲响。
The charm of the hour lay in its approaching dimness, in the low-gliding and pale-beaming sun.
这一时刻的魅力,在于天色渐暗,落日低垂,阳光惨淡。
I was a mile from Thornfield, in a lane noted for wild roses in summer, for nuts and blackberries in autumn,
我走在离桑菲尔德一英里的一条小路上。夏天,这里野攻瑰盛开;秋天,坚果与黑草莓累累,
and even now possessing a few coral treasures in hips and haws,
就是现在,也还留着珊瑚色珍宝般的蔷薇果和山楂果。
but whose best winter delight lay in its utter solitude and leafless repose.
但冬日最大的愉悦,却在于极度的幽静和光秃秃的树木所透出的安宁。
If a breath of air stirred, it made no sound here.
微风吹来,在这里听不见声息。
For there was not a holly, not an evergreen to rustle,
因为没有一枝冬青,没有一棵常绿树,可以发出婆娑之声。
and the stripped hawthorn and hazel bushes were as still as the white, worn stones which causewayed the middle of the path.
片叶无存的山楂和榛灌木、像小径中间磨损了的白石那样寂静无声。
Far and wide, on each side, there were only fields, where no cattle now browsed;
小路两旁。远近只有田野,却不见吃草的牛群。
And the little brown birds, which stirred occasionally in the hedge, looked like single russet leaves that had forgotten to drop.
偶尔拨弄着树篱的黄褐色小鸟,看上去像是忘记掉落的零星枯叶。