搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第115期

查看: 247.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:51 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第115期
It was very near, but not yet in sight.
这匹马已经很近了,但还看不见。
When, in addition to the tramp, tramp, I heard a rush under the hedge, and close down by the hazel stems glided a great dog,
除了得得的蹄声,我还听见了树篱下一阵骚动,紧靠地面的榛子树枝下,悄悄地溜出一条大狗,
whose black and white colour made him a distinct object against the trees.
黑白相间的毛色衬着树木,使它成了一个清晰的目标。
It was exactly one form of Bessie's Gytrash — a lion-like creature with long hair and a huge head.
这正是贝茜故事中,“盖特拉西”的面孔,一个狮子一般的怪物,有着长长的头发和硕大无比的头颅。
It passed me, however, quietly enough.
它从我身旁经过,却同我相安无事。
Not staying to look up, with strange pretercanine eyes, in my face, as I half expected it would.
并没有像我有几分担心的那样,停下来用比狗更具智想的奇特目光,抬头看我的面孔。
The horse followed, — a tall steed, and on its back a rider.
那匹马接跟而来,是匹高头大马,马背上坐着一位骑手。
The man, the human being, broke the spell at once.
那男人,也就是人本身,立刻驱散了魔气。
Nothing ever rode the Gytrash. It was always alone.
“盖特拉西”总是独来独往。从来没有被当作坐骑的。
And goblins, to my notions, though they might tenant the dumb carcasses of beasts,
而据我所知,尽管妖怪们会寄生在哑巴动物的躯壳之内,
could scarce covet shelter in the commonplace human form.
却不大可能看中一般人的躯体,把它作为藏身之地。
No Gytrash was this, — only a traveller taking the short cut to Millcote.
这可不是盖特拉西,而不过是位旅行者,抄近路到米尔科特去。
He passed, and I went on.
他从我身边走过,我依旧继续赶路。
A few steps, and I turned.
还没走几步,我便回过头来。
A sliding sound and an exclamation of "What the deuce is to do now?" and a clattering tumble, arrested my attention.
一阵什么东西滑落的声音,一声“怎么办,活见鬼?”的叫喊和咔啦啦啦翻滚落地的声响,引起了我的注意。
Man and horse were down; they had slipped on the sheet of ice which glazed the causeway.
人和马都己倒地,是在路当中光滑的薄冰层上滑倒的。
The dog came bounding back, and seeing his master in a predicament,
那条狗窜了回来,看见主人处境困难,
and hearing the horse groan, barked till the evening hills echoed the sound, which was deep in proportion to his magnitude.
听见马在呻吟,便狂吠着,暮霭中的群山响起了回声,那吠声十分深沉,与它巨大的身躯很相称。
He snuffed round the prostrate group, and then he ran up to me.
它先在倒地的两位周围闻闻,随后跑到了我面前。
It was all he could do, — there was no other help at hand to summon.
它也只能如此,因为附近没有别人可以求助。
I obeyed him, and walked down to the traveller, by this time struggling himself free of his steed.
我顺了它,走到了这位旅行者身边,这时他已挣扎着脱离了自己的马。
His efforts were so vigorous, I thought he could not be much hurt,
他的动作十分有力、因而我认为他可能伤得不重,
but I asked him the question: "Are you injured, sir?"
但我还是问了这个问题:“你伤着了吗,先生?”
I think he was swearing, but am not certain;
我现在想来他当时在骂骂咧咧,
however, he was pronouncing some formula which prevented him from replying to me directly.
不过我没有把握,然而他口中念念有词,所以无法马上回答我。
"Can I do anything?" I asked again.
“我能帮忙吗?”我又问。
"You must just stand on one side," he answered as he rose, first to his knees, and then to his feet. I did.
“你得站到一边来,”他边回答边站起来。先是成跪姿,然后站立起来,我照他的话做了。
Whereupon began a heaving, stamping, clattering process,
于是出现了一个人喘马嘶、脚步杂踏和马蹄冲击的场面,
accompanied by a barking and baying which removed me effectually some yards' distance,
伴之以狗的狂吠,结果把我撵到了几码远之外,
but I would not be driven quite away till I saw the event.
但还不至于远到看不见这件事情的结局。
This was finally fortunate; the horse was re-established, and the dog was silenced with a "Down, Pilot!"
最后总算万幸,这匹马重新站立起来了,那条狗也在叫了一声“躺下,派洛特!,后便乖乖地不吱声了。
The traveller now, stooping, felt his foot and leg, as if trying whether they were sound.
此刻这位赶路人弯下身子摸了摸自己的脚和腿,仿佛在试验一下它们是否安然无恙。
Apparently something ailed them, for he halted to the stile whence I had just risen, and sat down.
显然他什么部位有些疼痛,因为他蹒跚地踱向我刚才起身离开的台阶,一屁股坐了下来。
I was in the mood for being useful, or at least officious, I think, for I now drew near him again.
我心里很想帮忙,或者我想至少是爱管闲事,这时我再次走近了他。
If you are hurt, and want help, sir, I can fetch some one either from Thornfield Hall or from Hay.
要是你伤着了,需要帮忙,先生,我可以去叫人,到桑菲尔德,或海村。
Thank you. I shall do. I have no broken bones, only a sprain.
谢谢你,我能行,骨头没有跌断,只不过扭坏了脚。
And again he stood up and tried his foot, but the result extorted an involuntary "Ugh!"
他再次站起来,试了试脚,可是结果却不由自主地叫了声“唉!”

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部