搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第80期

查看: 400.3k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:57 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第80期
How is Helen Burns?
海伦·彭斯怎么样了?
"Very poorly," was the answer.
“很不好,”回答说。
Is it her Mr. Bates has been to see?
贝茨先生是去看她的吗?
Yes.
是的。
And what does he say about her?
对她的病,他说了些什么呀?
He says she'll not be here long.
他说她不会在这儿呆很久了。
This phrase, uttered in my hearing yesterday, would have only conveyed the notion that she was about to be removed to Northumberland, to her own home.
这句话要是昨天让我听到,它所表达的含义只能是,她将要搬到诺森伯兰郡自己家去了。
I should not have suspected that it meant she was dying, but I knew instantly now!
我不会去怀疑它包含着“她要死了”的意思。但此刻我立即明白了。
It opened clear on my comprehension that Helen Burns was numbering her last days in this world,
在我理解起来,这句话一清二楚,海伦在世的日子已屈指可数,
and that she was going to be taken to the region of spirits, if such region there were.
她将被带往精灵的地域,要是这样的地域确实存在的话。
I experienced a shock of horror, then a strong thrill of grief, then a desire — a necessity to see her, and I asked in what room she lay.
我感到一阵恐怖,一种今人震颤的悲哀,随后是一种愿望,一种要见她的需要。我问她躺在哪一个房间。
"She is in Miss Temple's room,” said the nurse.
“她在坦普尔小姐的屋里,"护士说。
May I go up and speak to her?
我可以上去同她说话吗?
Oh, no, child! It is not likely; and now it is time for you to come in; you'll catch the fever if you stop out when the dew is falling.
啊,孩子!那不行。现在你该进来了,要是降了露水还呆在外面,你也会得热病的。
The nurse closed the front door.
护士关了前门。
I went in by the side entrance which led to the schoolroom:
我从通往教室的边门溜了进去。
I was just in time; it was nine o'clock, and Miss Miller was calling the pupils to go to bed.
我恰好准时,九点刚敲,米勒小姐正吩咐学生上床。
It might be two hours later, probably near eleven, when I — not having been able to fall asleep, and deeming, from the perfect silence of the dormitory,
也许过了两小时,可能是将近十一点了,我难以入睡,而且从宿舍里一片沉寂推断,
that my companions were all wrapt in profound repose — rose softly, put on my frock over my night-dress,
我的同伴们都已蒙头大睡。于是我便轻手轻脚地爬起来,在睡衣外面穿了件外衣,
and, without shoes, crept from the apartment, and set off in quest of Miss Temple's room.
赤着脚从屋里溜了出来,去寻找坦普尔小姐的房间。
It was quite at the other end of the house, but I knew my way.
它远靠房子的另外一头,不过我认得路。
And the light of the unclouded summer moon, entering here and there at passage windows, enabled me to find it without difficulty.
夏夜的皎洁月光,零零落落地洒进过道的窗户,使我毫不费力地找到了她的房间。
An odour of camphor and burnt vinegar warned me when I came near the fever room.
一股樟脑味和烧焦的醋味,提醒我己走近了热病病房。
And I passed its door quickly, fearful lest the nurse who sat up all night should hear me.
我快步走过门前,深怕通宵值班的护士会听到我。
I dreaded being discovered and sent back.
我担心被人发现被赶回房去。
For I must see Helen, I must embrace her before she died, I must give her one last kiss, exchange with her one last word.
我必须看到海伦,在她死去之前必须拥抱她一下,我必须最后亲吻她一下,同她交换最后一句话。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部