搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第90期

查看: 229.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:58 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第90期
The next day she laid the affair before Mr. Brocklehurst,
第二天,她向布罗克赫斯特先生提出了这件事,
who said that Mrs. Reed must be written to, as she was my natural guardian.
而他说必须写信通知里德太太,因为她是我的当然监护人。
A note was accordingly addressed to that lady, who returned for answer, that I might do as I pleased.
结果便向那位太太发了封简函。她回信说,一切悉听尊便。
She had long relinquished all interference in my affairs.
她已久不干预我的事务了。
This note went the round of the committee, and at last,
这封信函在委员会里传阅,
after what appeared to me most tedious delay, formal leave was given me to better my condition if I could.
并经过了在我看来是极其今人厌烦的拖延后,我终于得到了正式许可,在可能情况下改善自己的处境。
And an assurance added, that as I had always conducted myself well, both as teacher and pupil, at Lowood,
附带还保证,由于我在罗沃德当教师和当学生时,一向表现很好,
a testimonial of character and capacity, signed by the inspectors of that institution, should forthwith be furnished me.
为此即将为我提供一份由学校督导签字的品格和能力证明书。
This testimonial I accordingly received in about a month, forwarded a copy of it to Mrs. Fairfax,
大约一周以后,我收到了这份证明,抄寄了一份给费尔法克斯太太,
and got that lady's reply, stating that she was satisfied,
并得到了那位太太的回复,说是对我感到满意,
and fixing that day fortnight as the period for my assuming the post of governess in her house.
并定于两周后我去那位太太家担任家庭教师。
I now busied myself in preparations:
现在我忙于作准备了。
The fortnight passed rapidly.
两周时间一晃而过。
I had not a very large wardrobe, though it was adequate to my wants;
我的衣装不多,只是够穿罢了。
And the last day sufficed to pack my trunk, the same I had brought with me eight years ago from Gateshead.
最后一天也完全够我整理箱子,还是八年前从盖茨黑德带来的那一只。
The box was corded, the card nailed on.
箱子已用绳子捆好,贴上了标签。
In half-an-hour the carrier was to call for it to take it to Lowton,
半小时之后有脚夫来把它取走,送往洛顿,
whither I myself was to repair at an early hour the next morning to meet the coach.
我自己则第二天一早要赶到那里去等公共马车。
I had brushed my black stuff travelling-dress, prepared my bonnet, gloves, and muff.
我刷好了我的黑呢旅行装,备好帽子、手套和皮手筒。
Sought in all my drawers to see that no article was left behind.
把所有的抽屉翻了一遍,免得丢下什么东西。
And now having nothing more to do, I sat down and tried to rest.
此刻,我已无事可做,便想坐下来休息一下。
I could not; though I had been on foot all day, I could not now repose an instant.
但我做不到,尽管我已奔忙了一整天,却一刻也无法休息。
I was too much excited.
我太兴奋了。
A phase of my life was closing tonight, a new one opening tomorrow.
我生活的一个阶段今晚就要结束,明天将开始一个新的阶段。
Impossible to slumber in the interval; I must watch feverishly while the change was being accomplished.
在两者的间隙,我难以入睡,我必须满腔热情地观看这变化的完成。
"Miss," said a servant who met me in the lobby,
“小姐,”一个在门厅碰到我的仆人说。
where I was wandering like a troubled spirit, "a person below wishes to see you."
这会儿我正像一个不安的幽灵似地在那里徘徊,“楼下有个人要见你。
"The carrier, no doubt," I thought, and ran downstairs without inquiry.
“准是脚夫,”我想,问也没问一声就奔下了楼去。
I was passing the back-parlour or teachers' sitting-room, the door of which was half open, to go to the kitchen,
我正经过半开着的后客厅,也就是教师休息室,向厨房走去,
when some one ran out:"It's her, I am sure! — I could have told her anywhere!"
有人却从里面跑了出来:“准是她!在哪儿我都认得出她来!”
cried the individual who stopped my progress and took my hand.
那人拦住我,一把抓过我的手叫道。
I looked. I saw a woman attired like a well-dressed servant, matronly,
我定睛一看,见是一个少妇,穿戴得像一个衣着讲究的仆人,一付已婚妇女模样,
yet still young, very good-looking, with black hair and eyes, and lively complexion.
却不失年轻漂亮,头发和眸子乌黑,脸色红润。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部