搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第47期

查看: 436.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:02:59 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第47期
I found the mess to consist of indifferent potatoes and strange shreds of rusty meat, mixed and cooked together.
我发现这乱糟糟的东西,是烂土豆和几小块不可思议的臭肉搅在一起煮成的。
Of this preparation a tolerably abundant plateful was apportioned to each pupil.
每个学生都分到了相当满的一盘。
I ate what I could, and wondered within myself whether every day's fare would be like this.
我尽力而吃。心里暗自纳闷,是否每天的饭食都是这付样子。
After dinner, we immediately adjourned to the schoolroom.
吃罢午饭,我们立则去教室。
Lessons recommenced, and were continued till five o' clock.
又开始上课,一直到五点钟。
The only marked event of the afternoon was, that I saw the girl with whom I had conversed in the verandah
下午只有一件事引人注目,我看到了在游廊上跟我交谈过的姑娘丢了脸,
dismissed in disgrace by Miss Scatcherd from a history class, and sent to stand in the middle of the large schoolroom.
被斯卡查德小姐逐出历史课,责令站在那个大教室当中。
The punishment seemed to me in a high degree ignominious, especially for so great a girl.
在我看来,这种惩罚实在是奇耻大辱,特别是对像她这样一个大姑娘来说。
She looked thirteen or upwards.
她看上去有十三岁了,或许还更大。
I expected she would show signs of great distress and shame.
我猜想她会露出伤心和害臊的表情。
But to my surprise she neither wept nor blushed. Composed, though grave, she stood, the central mark of all eyes.
但使我诧异的是,她既没哭泣,也没脸红,她在众目睽睽之下,站在那里,虽然神情严肃,却非常镇定。
"How can she bear it so quietly — so firmly?"I asked of myself.
"她怎么能那么默默地而又坚定地忍受呢?"我暗自思忖。
"Were I in her place, it seems to me I should wish the earth to open and swallow me up."
"要是我,巴不得地球会裂开,把我吞下去。"
She looks as if she were thinking of something beyond her punishment — beyond her situation, of something not round her nor before her.
而她看上去仿佛在想惩罚之外的什么事,与她处境无关的事情,某种既不在她周围也不在她眼的的东西。
I have heard of day-dreams. Is she in a day-dream now?
我听说过白日梦。难道她在做白日梦。
Her eyes are fixed on the floor, but I am sure they do not see it.
她的眼晴盯着地板,但可以肯定她视而不见。
Her sight seems turned in, gone down into her heart.
她的目光似乎是向内的,直视自己的心扉。
She is looking at what she can remember, I believe. Not at what is really present.
我想她注视着记忆中的东西,而不是眼前确实存在的事物。
I wonder what sort of a girl she is — whether good or naughty."
我不明白她属于哪一类姑娘,好姑娘,还是淘气鬼。"
Soon after five p. m. we had another meal, consisting of a small mug of coffee, and half-a-slice of brown bread.
五分钟刚过,我们又用了另一顿饭,吃的是一小杯咖啡和半片黑面包。
I devoured my bread and drank my coffee with relish.
我狼吞虎咽地吃了面包,喝了咖啡,吃得津津有味。
But I should have been glad of as much more - I was still hungry.
不过要是能再来一份,我会非常高兴,因为我仍然很饿。
Half-an-hour's recreation succeeded, then study; then the glass of water and the piece of oat-cake, prayers, and bed.
吃完饭后是半小时的娱乐活动,然后是学习,再后是一杯水,一个燕麦饼,祷告,上床。
Such was my first day at Lowood.
这就是我在罗沃德第一天的生活。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部