搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第55期

查看: 332.0k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:03:00 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第55期
Whence it came it will return.
它从哪里来就回到哪里去。
Perhaps again to be communicated to some being higher than man
也许又会被传递给比人类更高级的东西
perhaps to pass through gradations of glory, from the pale human soul to brighten to the seraph!
也许会经过各个荣耀的阶段,从照亮人类的苍白灵魂,到照亮最高级的六翼天使。
Surely it will never, on the contrary, be suffered to degenerate from man to fiend?
相反它决不会允许从人类坠落到魔鬼,是吧?
No. I cannot believe that.
是的,我不相信会这样。
I hold another creed, which no one ever taught me, and which I seldom mention;
我持有另一种信条,这种信条没有人教过我,我也很少提起,
but in which I delight, and to which I cling, for it extends hope to all.
但我为此感到愉快,我对它坚信不渝,因为它给所有的人都带来了希望。
It makes Eternity a rest — a mighty home, not a terror and an abyss.
它使永恒成为一种安息,一个宏大的家,而并非恐惧和深渊。
Besides, with this creed, I can so clearly distinguish between the criminal and his crime.
此外,有了这个信条,我能够清楚地分辨罪犯和他的罪孽。
I can so sincerely forgive the first while I abhor the last.
我可以真诚地宽恕前者,而对后者无比憎恶。
With this creed revenge never worries my heart, degradation never too deeply disgusts me, injustice never crushes me too low.
有了这个信条,复仇永不会使我操心,坠落不会让我感到过份深恶痛绝,不公平不会把我完全压倒。
I live in calm, looking to the end.
我平静地生活,期待着末日。
Helen's head, always drooping, sank a little lower as she finished this sentence.
海伦向来耷拉着脑袋,而讲完这句话时她把头垂得更低了。
I saw by her look she wished no longer to talk to me, but rather to converse with her own thoughts.
从她的神态上我知道她不想跟我再谈下去了,而情愿同自己的思想交流。
She was not allowed much time for meditation.
她也没有很多时间可以沉思默想了。
A monitor, a great rough girl, presently came up, exclaiming in a strong Cumberland accent:
马上就来了一位班长,一个又大又粗的姑娘,带着很重的昆布兰口音叫道:
Helen Burns, if you don't go and put your drawer in order, and fold up your work this minute, I'll tell Miss Scatcherd to come and look at it!
海伦·彭斯,要是这会儿你不去整理抽屉,收拾你的针线活儿,我要告诉斯卡查德小姐,请她来看看了。
Helen sighed as her reverie fled, and getting up, obeyed the monitor without reply as without delay.
海伦的幻想烟消云散,她长叹一声,站了起来,没有回答,也没有耽搁,便服从了这位班长。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部