搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第64期

查看: 242.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:03:01 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第64期
Place the child upon it.
把这孩子放上去。
And I was placed there, by whom I don't know.
我被抱到了凳子上,是谁抱的,我并不知道。
I was in no condition to note particulars.
我已经不可能去注意细枝末节了。
I was only aware that they had hoisted me up to the height of Mr. Brocklehurst's nose,
我只知道他们把我摆到了跟布罗克赫斯特先生鼻子一般高的地方;知道他离我只有一码远;
that he was within a yard of me, and that a spread of shot orange and purple silk pelisses and a cloud of silvery plumage extended and waved below me.
知道在我下面,一片桔黄色和紫色的闪缎饰皮外衣和浓雾般银色的羽毛在扩展,在飘拂。
Mr. Brocklehurst hemmed.
布罗克赫斯特先生清了清嗓子。
"Ladies," said he, turning to his family, "Miss Temple, teachers, and children, you all see this girl?"
“女士们,”他说着转向他的家人,“坦普尔小姐,教师们和孩子们,你们都看到了这个女孩子了吧?”
Of course they did, for I felt their eyes directed like burning-glasses against my scorched skin.
她们当然是看到了。我觉到她们的眼睛像凸透镜那样对准了我烧灼的皮肤。
You see she is yet young.
你们瞧,她还很小。
You observe she possesses the ordinary form of childhood.
你们看到了,她的外貌与一般孩子没有什么两样。
God has graciously given her the shape that He has given to all of us.
上帝仁慈地把赐与我们大家的外形,一样赐给了她。
No signal deformity points her out as a marked character.
没有什么明显的残疾表明她是个特殊人物。
Who would think that the Evil One had already found a servant and agent in her?
谁能想到魔鬼已经在她身上找到了一个奴仆和代理人呢?
Yet such, I grieve to say, is the case.
而我痛心地说,这就是事实。
A pause - in which I began to steady the palsy of my nerves, and to feel that the Rubicon was passed.
他又停顿了一下。在这间隙,我开始让自己紧张的神经稳定下来,并觉得鲁比孔河已经渡过。
And that the trial, no longer to be shirked, must be firmly sustained.
既然审判已无法回避,那就只得硬着头去忍受了。
"My dear children," pursued the black marble clergyman, with pathos, "this is a sad, a melancholy occasion."
“我的可爱的孩子们,”这位黑大理石般的牧师悲切地继续说下去,“这是一个悲哀而令人忧伤的场合。”
For it becomes my duty to warn you, that this girl, who might be one of God's own lambs, is a little castaway,
因为我有责任告诫大家,这个本可以成为上帝自己羔羊的女孩子,是个小小的被遗弃者,
not a member of the true flock, but evidently an interloper and an alien.
不属于真正的羊群中的一员,而显然是一个闯入者,一个异己。
You must be on your guard against her. You must shun her example.
你们必须提防她,不要学她样子。
If necessary, avoid her company, exclude her from your sports, and shut her out from your converse.
必要的话避免与她作伴,不要同她一起游戏,不要与她交谈。
Teachers, you must watch her: keep your eyes on her movements, weigh well her words, scrutinise her actions, punish her body to save her soul.
教师们,你们必须看住她,注意她的行踪,掂量她的话语,监视她的行动,惩罚她的肉体以拯救她的灵魂。
If, indeed, such salvation be possible, for (my tongue falters while I tell it) this girl, this child, the native of a Christian land,
如果有可能挽救的话,因为(我实在说不出口),这个姑娘,这个孩子,基督国土上的本地子民,
worse than many a little heathen who says its prayers to Brahma and kneels before Juggernaut - this girl is - a liar!”
比很多向梵天祈祷,向讫里什那神像跪拜的小异教徒还坏,这个女孩子是一个——说谎者!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部