搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第69期

查看: 241.5k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:03:03 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第69期
How can they pity me after what Mr. Brocklehurst has said?
布罗克赫斯特先生说了话以后,她们怎么可能同情我呢。
Mr. Brocklehurst is not a god. Nor is he even a great and admired man.
布罗克赫斯特先生不是神,也不是一个值得钦佩的伟人。
He is little liked here.
这里人不喜欢他。
He never took steps to make himself liked.
他也不想法让人喜欢他。
Had he treated you as an especial favourite, you would have found enemies, declared or covert, all around you.
要是他把你看成他的宠儿,你倒会处处树敌,公开的,或者暗地里的都会有。
As it is, the greater number would offer you sympathy if they dared.
而现在这样,大多数胆子大一点的人是会同情你的。
Teachers and pupils may look coldly on you for a day or two, but friendly feelings are concealed in their hearts.
老师和同伴可以这一两天会冷眼对你,但是他们的心里藏着友好的感情。
And if you persevere in doing well, these feelings will ere long appear so much the more evidently for their temporary suppression.
而要是你继续努力,好好表现,这些感情正因为暂时的压抑,不久就会更加明显地表露出来。
Besides, Jane... She paused.
此外,简...她刹住了话头。
"Well, Helen?" said I, putting my hand into hers.
“怎样。海伦?”我说着把自己手塞到了她手里。
She chafed my fingers gently to warm them, and went on,
她轻轻地揉着我的手指,使它们暖和过来,随后又说下去,
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends.
即使整个世界恨你,并且相信你很坏,只要你自己问心无愧,知道你是清白的,你就不会没有朋友。
No; I know I should think well of myself; but that is not enough.
不,我明白我觉得自己不错,但这还不够。
If others don't love me I would rather die than live.
要是别人不爱我,那么与其活着还不如死去。
I cannot bear to be solitary and hated, Helen.
我受不了孤独和别人的厌恶,海伦。
Look here, to gain some real affection from you, or Miss Temple, or any other whom I truly love,
瞧,为了从你那儿,或者坦普尔小姐,或是任何一个我确实所爱的人那儿,得到真正的爱,
I would willingly submit to have the bone of my arm broken, or to let a bull toss me, or to stand behind a kicking horse, and let it dash its hoof at my chest...”
我会心甘情愿忍受胳膊骨被折断,或者愿让一头公牛把我悬空抛起,或者站在一匹蹶腿的马后面,任马蹄踢向我胸膛...”
Hush, Jane! You think too much of the love of human beings.
嘘,简!你太看重人的爱了。
You are too impulsive, too vehement.
你的感情太冲动,你的情绪太激烈了。
The sovereign hand that created your frame, and put life into it,
一只至高无上的手创造了你的躯体,又往里面注入了生命,
has provided you with other resources than your feeble self, or than creatures feeble as you.
这只手除了造就了你脆弱的自身,或者同你一样脆弱的创造物之外,还给你提供了别的财富。
Besides this earth, and besides the race of men, there is an invisible world and a kingdom of spirits.
在地球和人类之外,还有一个看不见的世界,一个精灵王国。
That world is round us, for it is everywhere.
这个世界包围着我们,无所不在。
And those spirits watch us, for they are commissioned to guard us.
那些精灵们注视着我们,奉命守护我们。
And if we were dying in pain and shame, if scorn smote us on all sides,
要是我们在痛苦和耻辱中死去;要是来自四面八方的鄙视刺伤了我们;
and hatred crushed us, angels see our tortures, recognise our innocence.
要是仇恨压垮了我们,天使们会看到我们遭受折磨,会承认我们清白无辜。
If innocent we be, as I know you are of this charge which Mr. Brocklehurst has weakly and pompously repeated at second-hand from Mrs. Reed,
如果我们确实清白无辜,我知道你受到了布罗克赫斯特先生指控,但这种指控软弱无力,夸大其词,不过是从里德太太那儿转手得来的,
for I read a sincere nature in your ardent eyes and on your clear front.
因为我从你热情的眼睛里,从你明净的前额上,看到了诚实的本性。
And God waits only the separation of spirit from flesh to crown us with a full reward.
上帝只不过等待灵魂与肉体分离,以赐予我们充分酬报。
Why, then, should we ever sink overwhelmed with distress, when life is so soon over, and death is so certain an entrance to happiness — to glory?
当生命很快结束,死亡必定成为幸福与荣耀的入口时,我们为什么还要因为忧伤而沉沦呢?

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部