搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第13期

查看: 424.4k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:03:07 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第13期
The next thing I remember is, waking up with a feeling as if I had had a frightful nightmare,
我随后记得,醒过来时仿佛做了一场可怕的恶梦,
and seeing before me a terrible red glare, crossed with thick black bars.
看到眼前闪烁着骇人的红光,被一根根又粗又黑的条子所隔断。
I heard voices, too, speaking with a hollow sound, and as if muffled by a rush of wind or water.
我还听到了沉闷的说话声,仿佛被一阵风声或水声盖住了似的。
Agitation, uncertainty, and an all-predominating sense of terror confused my faculties.
激动不安以及压倒一切的恐怖感,使我神智模糊了。
Ere long, I became aware that some one was handling me, lifting me up and supporting me in a sitting posture,
不久,我明白有人在摆弄我。把我扶起来,让我靠着他坐着。
and that more tenderly than I had ever been raised or upheld before.
我觉得以前从来没有被人这么轻乎轻脚地抱起过。
I rested my head against a pillow or an arm, and felt easy.
我把头倚在一个枕头上或是一条胳膊上,感到很舒服。
In five minutes more the cloud of bewilderment dissolved.
五分钟后,心头的疑云消散了。
I knew quite well that I was in my own bed, and that the red glare was the nursery fire.
我完全明白我在自己的床上,那红光是保育室的炉火。
It was night. A candle burnt on the table.
时候是夜间,桌上燃着蜡烛。
Bessie stood at the bed-foot with a basin in her hand, and a gentleman sat in a chair near my pillow, leaning over me.
贝茵端着脸盆站在床脚边,一位老先生坐在我枕边的椅子上,俯身向着我。
I felt an inexpressible relief, a soothing conviction of protection and security,
这时,我感到了一种难以言表的宽慰,一种确信受到庇护而觉得安全的欣慰之情。
when I knew that there was a stranger in the room, an individual not belonging to Gateshead, and not related to Mrs. Reed.
我知道房间里有一个生人,一个不属于盖茨黑德府、也不与里德太太拈亲带故的人。
Turning from Bessie (though her presence was far less obnoxious to me than that of Abbot, for instance, would have been) ,
我的目光离开贝茜(尽管她在身边远没有艾博特那么讨厌),
I scrutinised the face of the gentleman.
细细端详这位先生的面容。
I knew him; it was Mr. Lloyd, an apothecary, sometimes called in by Mrs. Reed when the servants were ailing.
我认识他,他是芳埃德先生,是个药剂师,有时里德太太请他来给佣人们看病。
or herself and the children she employed a physician.
但她自己和孩子们不舒服时,请的是位内科医生。
“Well, who am I?” he asked.
“瞧,我是谁?”他问。
I pronounced his name, offering him at the same time my hand.
我说出了他的名字,同时把手伸给他。
He took it, smiling and saying, “We shall do very well by-and-by.”
他握住了我的手、微微一笑说:“慢慢会好起来的。”
Then he laid me down, and addressing Bessie, charged her to be very careful that I was not disturbed during the night.
随后他扶我躺下,并吩咐贝茜千万小心,在夜里别让我受到打扰。
Having given some further directions, and intimates that he should call again the next day, he departed.To my grief,
他又叮嘱了一番,说了声第二天再来后,便走了。我非常难过。
I felt so sheltered and befriended while he sat in the chair near my pillow.
有他坐在我枕边的椅子上,我感到既温暖又亲近
And as he closed the door after him, all the room darkened and my heart again sank, inexpressible sadness weighed it down.
而他一走,门一关上,整个房间便暗了下来,我的心再次沉重起来,一种无可名状的哀伤威压着我。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部