搜索

经典文学《简·爱》 第26期

查看: 293.9k|回复: 0
  发表于 May 18, 2018 11:03:08 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
经典文学《简·爱》 第26期
I now stood in the empty hall; before me was the breakfast-room door, and I stopped, intimidated and trembling.
此刻,我站在空空荡荡的大厅里,面前就是餐室的门。我停了下,害怕地颤抖着。
What a miserable little poltroon had fear, engendered of unjust punishment, made of me in those days!
可怜的胆小鬼,那时候不公的惩罚竟使她怕成了这付样子!
I feared to return to the nursery, and feared to go forward to the parlour.
我既不敢退后返回保育室,又怕往前走向客厅。
Ten minutes I stood in agitated hesitation.
我焦虑不安、犹犹豫豫地站了十来分钟。
The vehement ringing of the breakfast-room bell decided me; I must enter.
直到早餐室一阵喧闹的铃声使我横下了心来;我非进去不可了。
"Who could want me?" I asked inwardly, as with both hands I turned the stiff door-handle, which, for a second or two, resisted my efforts.
"谁会找我呢?"我心里有些纳闷,一面用两只手去转动僵硬的门把手,足有一两秒钟,那把手纹丝不动。
"What should I see besides aunt Reed in the apartment? A man or a woman?"
"除了里德舅妈之外,我还会在客厅里见到谁呢?男人还是女人?"
The handle turned, the door unclosed, and passing through and curtseying low, I looked up at — a black pillar!
把手转动了一下,门开了。我进去行了一个低低的屈膝礼,抬起来头竟看见了一根黑色的柱子!
— such, at least, appeared to me, at first sight, the straight, narrow, sable-clad shape standing erect on the rug.
至少猛一看来是这样。那笔直、狭小裹着貂皮的东西直挺挺立在地毯上。
The grim face at the top was like a carved mask, placed above the shaft by way of capital.
那张凶神恶煞般的脸,像是雕刻成的假面,置于柱子顶端当作柱顶似的。
Mrs. Reed occupied her usual seat by the fireside.
里德太太坐在壁炉旁往常所坐的位置上。
She made a signal to me to approach.
她示意我走近她。
I did so, and she introduced me to the stony stranger with the words: "This is the little girl respecting whom I applied to you."
她用这样的话把我介绍给那个毫无表情的陌生人:"这就是我跟你谈起过的小女孩。"
He, for it was a man, turned his head slowly towards where I stood,
他,因为是个男人,缓缓地把头转向我站立的地方,
and having examined me with the two inquisitive-looking grey eyes which twinkled under a pair of bushy brows,
用他那双浓眉下闪着好奇的目光的灰色眼睛审视着我,
said solemnly, and in a bass voice, "Her size is small. What is her age?"
随后响起了他严肃的男低音:"她个子很小,几岁了?"
"Ten years."
"十岁。"
"So much?" was the doubtful answer, and he prolonged his scrutiny for some minutes. Presently he addressed me: "Your name, little girl?"
"这么大了,"他满腹狐疑地问道。随后又细细打量了我几分钟,马上跟我说起话来。"你叫什么名字,小姑娘?"
"Jane Eyre, sir."
"简·爱,先生。"
In uttering these words I looked up.
说完,我抬起头来。
He seemed to me a tall gentleman, but then I was very little.
我觉得他是位身材高大的斗士,不过,那时我自己是个小不点。
His features were large, and they and all the lines of his frame were equally harsh and prim.
他的五官粗大、每个部位以及骨架上的每根线条,都是同样的粗糙和刻板。
"Well, Jane Eyre, and are you a good child?"
"瞧,简·爱,你是个好孩子吗?"
Impossible to reply to this in the affirmative, my little world held a contrary opinion. I was silent.
我不可能回答说"是的",我那个小天地里的人都持有相反的意见。于是我沉默不语。
Mrs. Reed answered for me by an expressive shake of the head, adding soon, "Perhaps the less said on that subject the better, Mr. Brocklehurst."
里德太太使劲摇了一下头,等于是替我作了回答,并立即补充说:"这个话题也许还是少谈为炒。布罗克赫斯特先生。"

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

秀哈英语

Copyright © 2024 秀哈英语版权所有

https://www.showha.cn/ ( 皖ICP备2022008997号 )

关于我们
关于我们
秀哈文化
使用指南
招聘信息
小黑屋
政策说明
法律声明
隐私保护
信息发布规则
关注秀哈微信公众号
手机访问秀哈英语,更方便!
快速回复 返回列表 返回顶部