"I don't think you have, Bessie."
"我想你没有,贝茜。"
"Child! What do you mean? What sorrowful eyes you fix on me!
"孩子!你这是什么意思?你盯着我的那双眼睛多么忧郁!
Well, but Missis and the young ladies and Master John are going out to tea this afternoon, and you shall have tea with me.
瞧!太太、小姐和约翰少爷今天下午都出去用茶点了,你可以跟我一起吃茶点。
I'll ask cook to bake you a little cake, and then you shall help me to look over your drawers, for I am soon to pack your trunk.
我会叫厨师给你烘一个小饼,随后你要帮我检查一下你抽屉,因为我马上就要为你整理箱子了。
Missis intends you to leave Gateshead in a day or two, and you shall choose what toys you like to take with you."
太太想让你一两天内离开盖茨黑德,你可以拣你喜欢的玩具随身带走。"
"Bessie, you must promise not to scold me any more till I go."
"贝茜,你得答应我在走之前不再骂我了。"
"Well, I will, but mind you are a very good girl, and don't be afraid of me.
"好吧,我答应你,不过别忘了做个好孩子,而且也别怕我。
Don't start when I chance to speak rather sharply. It's so provoking."
要是我偶然说话尖刻了些,你别吓一大跳,因为那很使人恼火。"
"I don't think I shall ever be afraid of you again, Bessie, because I have got used to you, and I shall soon have another set of people to dread."
"我想我再也不怕你了,贝茜,因为我已经习惯了,很快我又有另外一批人要怕了。"
"If you dread them they'll dislike you."
"如果你怕他们,他们会不喜欢你的。"
"As you do, Bessie?"
"像你一样吗,贝茜?"
"I don't dislike you, Miss. I believe I am fonder of you than of all the others."
"我并不是不喜欢你,小姐,我相信,我比其他人都要喜欢你。"
"You don't show it."
"你没有表现出来。"
"You little sharp thing!
"你这狡猾的小东西!
You've got quite a new way of talking.
你说话的口气不一样了。
What makes you so venturesome and hardy?"
怎么会变得那么大胆和鲁莽呢?"
"Why, I shall soon be away from you, and besides..."
"呵,我不久就要离开你了,再说..."
I was going to say something about what had passed between me and Mrs. Reed, but on second thoughts I considered it better to remain silent on that head.
我正想谈谈我与里德太太之间发生的事,但转念一想,还是不说为好。
"And so you're glad to leave me?"
"那么你是乐意离开我了?"
"Not at all, Bessie; Indeed, just now I'm rather sorry."
"没有那回事,贝茜,说真的,现在我心里有些难过。"
"Just now! And rather! How coolly my little lady says it!
"‘现在’,‘有些’,我的小姐说得多冷静!
I dare say now if I were to ask you for a kiss you wouldn't give it me. You'd say you 'd rather not."
我想要是我现在要求吻你一下,你是不会答应的,你会说,还是不要吧。"
"I'll kiss you and welcome. Bend your head down."
"我来吻你,而且我很乐意,把你的头低下来。"
Bessie stooped; we mutually embraced, and I followed her into the house quite comforted.
贝茜弯下了腰,我们相互拥抱着,我跟着她进了屋子,得到了莫大安慰。
That afternoon lapsed in peace and harmony.
下午在和谐平静中过去了。
And in the evening Bessie told me some of her most enchanting stories, and sang me some of her sweetest songs.
晚上,贝茜给我讲了一些最动人的故事,给我唱了几支她最动听的歌,
Even for me life had its gleams of sunshine.
即便是对我这样的人来说,生活中也毕竟还有几缕阳光呢。