LESSON 69
第69课
visit
参观
soaked
侵泡
obedient
听话
ruined
破败
BESSIE(CONCLUDED)
贝 希(结束篇)
She was back at the house in a few minutes, calling, "Mother! mother! auntie! Who wants me?"
她在几分钟内回到了家,喊道:“妈妈!妈妈!阿姨!谁在找我?”
"I, dear," said her mother.
是我,亲爱的。”她的妈妈说。
I am going away for a long visit, and if you had not come at once, I could not have said good-by to my little girl.
我打算离家做个长期访问。如果你不马上回来的话,我可能就不能和我的小姑娘说再见了。
Then Bessie's mother kissed her, and told her to obey her kind aunt while she was gone.
然后,贝希的妈妈亲了亲她,告诉她在妈妈不在的日子里要听阿姨的话。
The next morning, Bessie waked to find it raining hard.
转天早晨,贝希起床之后发现外面的雨下得很大。
She went into her aunt's room with a very sad face. "O auntie! This old rain!"
她嘟着脸走进阿姨的房间,说:“噢,阿姨,这雨真讨厌!”
This new, fresh, beautiful rain, Bessie! How it will make our flowers grow, and what a good time we can have together in the house!
这是一场新鲜而美丽的雨,贝希!它会令我们的花朵长大。我们一起在房里子会度过多么美好的一段时光啊!
I know it, auntie; but you will think me so careless!
我知道,阿姨。但你根本没听懂我在说什么!
To let it rain?
你是说我想让它下雨这件事?
No; don't laugh, Aunt Annie; to leave your nice basket out of doors all night;
不是,别笑了,安妮阿姨。昨天我把你漂亮的篮子在门外丢了一整夜;
and now it will be soaked and ruined in this — this — beautiful rain.
现在它该被淋坏了,被这场——这场美丽的雨。
Bessie did not look as if the beautiful rain made her very happy.
贝希并不认为这场美丽的雨让她有多开心。
"You must be more careful, dear, another time," said her aunt, gently. "But come, tell me all about it."
"亲爱的,下次你必须更加小心一些。”她的阿姨温柔地说,“来,告诉我昨天都发生了什么。”
So Bessie crept very close to her auntie's side, and told her of her happy time the day before;
于是贝希慢慢地靠近阿姨,告诉了她昨天自己有多么高兴。
of the squirrel, and the toad, and how the basket rolled away down the hill;
她说到了松鼠,说到了蛤蟆,也说到了篮子是怎样滚下了山坡,
and then how the bell rang, and she could not stop to find the basket.
接着为什么铃声响了,以至于她不能停下来找篮子。
"And you did quite right," said her aunt.
“你做得很对。”她的阿姨说,
If you had stopped, your mother must have waited a whole day, or else gone without seeing you.
如果你停下来去找篮子了,你妈妈肯定会等一整天,或没见到你就走了。
When I write, I will tell her how obedient you were, and that will please her more than anything else I can say.
当我给她写信时,我会告诉她你有多么听话,这会让她比听到任何事都更高兴的。