Computer facts
电脑的事实
Smaller and better
更小而更好
In the 1940s, the first computers were bigger than cars.
在 20 世纪 40 年代,第一台电脑比汽车还要大。
Now computers are becoming smaller and better.
现在的电脑变得越来越小,而且越来越好了。
Some computers are tiny. You may be unaware of them.
有些电脑是微型的。你可能意识不到它们。
There is probably one inside your TV or washing machine.
可能在你的电视机或洗衣机内部就有一个。
You depend on computers more than you realize.
你所依赖的电脑比你更能干。
What can we do with computers?
我们可以用电脑做什么?
We can use computers to calculate.
我们可以用电脑来计算。
They can calculate at a faster speed than we can and almost never give wrong answers.
它们可以以比我们更快的速度计算而且几乎从来不会给你错误的答案。
We can also type and draw things with them.
我们还可以用它们来打字或绘画。
In addition, computers can do important jobs like operating railways and flying planes and spaceships.
此外,电脑还可以在运行的铁路上、飞行的飞机和太空飞船上等 担负重要的工作。
Is a computer cleverer than me?
一台电脑会比我更聪明?
The answer is “No”. Your brain can produce new ideas but computers cannot.
答案是“否”。你的大脑能产生新的想法,但电脑不能。
However, one day computers may be able to do a better job than human beings.
不过,或许有一天电脑能比人类干得更好。
For example, they may be better than doctors at doing their job.
例如:他们可能比医生更能从事医生的工作。
What will happen to us if computers can do all our jobs? Will we have nothing to do?
如果电脑可以做我们所有的工作时将会发生什么事?我们什么都不用做?
Computers may change our lives, but will they make them better?
电脑可能会改变我们的生活,但它们会让生活变得更美好吗?